American basket flower

wantonamara Z8 CenTexMay 31, 2012

I love to celebrate a new wildflower when they walk onto my land. I have 2 very healthy basket flowers where I have never seen them before on this land. God knows I have been yanking yellow star thistle and canadian thistle all spring long. It is great to get a new-to-me native show its face here instead. It looks a little like a thistle flower. It and I am lucky that I wasn't on auto pilot in my yanking frenzy. I would love to post a photo but my computer is down and I am not able to get my photos downloaded and all that jive to my flicker account. I will be out there in the morning with my camera.I found it just as the sun was going down. It was right where I want to plant a salvia gregii. I almost dug it up.

I included the LBJ wildflower entry for it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Basket Flower

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

I like it!!! Let me know if you have extra seeds for next year!

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:54PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

They say it is the most common wildflower in Texas. Then how come I don't see it that much?I never see a lot of them. One of the common names for it is American star thistle. LOL. I really was yanking at the Yellow star thistle right before I got to it. How 'bout that for immediate gratification!

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:41PM
linda_tx8(8)

It's a lovely plant! So sweet. I invited here years ago...gathered seed from roadside plants. Hope you can persuade them to naturalize!

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 12:24PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Late last night I had this really indistinct memory from a couple of years back of finding a scraggly thistle-ish pinkish flower It had another tiny thing that had some seed next to it with a little fluff on it. I grabbed it and walked off. It disappeared from my hand by the time I got to the seed bank. I must have gone to the nursery area first because these came up right by a pathway to it from where I spied the plant.

Hey Linda, do you grow Texas prairie parsley? I will have some seed from it. I sure do like that plant. I here that the butterflies like it.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 12:50PM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Very nice, it's always good when a new native shows up on its own.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 3:55PM
linda_tx8(8)

I'm not sure about Texas prairie parsley. I've got some kind of wild parsley-like plant that gets really big...like something on steroids...already gone to seed now. I'll look up that species you mentioned. Been meaning to find an ID for the plant I have. I've also got Daucosma laciniata (starting to bloom now). The butterfly caterpillars can use both of them. But I haven't seen that kind of butterfly yet this year.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 10:27PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The plant I have that is called Texas prairie Parsley , aka Polytaenia texana is noted below. I was looking at Daucosma laciniata. Does that have sticky- hairy small seeds????. I am confused by all these queen ann's lace look alikes. I think I am going to add this to the thread about Queen ann's lace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polytaenia texana

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™