Hit in Head by Falling Squirrel ???

smkarpJuly 5, 2014

I was admiring my garden this morning, sipping my morning tea when all of a sudden, Whack! Something hit me really hard on the top of the head. I was stunned for a moment, then immediately looked around for the object. It felt like I had been hit by a football, or by an animal, from the weight of what hit me and the amount of give I felt as the object crashed into my head. There was no football or dead animal anywhere. I looked up and could see our 50 foot trees behind the garden swaying in a strong wind. Then I went inside to tell my wife.

She was incredulous, thinking I had imagined it. But upon examination of my head she found numerous deep scratch marks that were bleeding. It could have been a very large bird, but I have concluded it was a squirrel tossed out of the trees by the wind. I consulted the web and found out that squirrels do indeed fall out of trees, and sometimes near people. But nowhere did anyone ever describe being hit by one. Am I the first human to experience this? Has anyone ever heard of such a freak accident?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smkarp

Sorry, it wasn't a squirrel. It was a hawk attack. I just never expected it would smash into my head like that! Since the 1st episode the hawk has gone after me twice. The 2nd encounter, the hawk just buzzed me. An hour later it scratched my head and bumped me lightly. I need to wear a helmet in my garden now! I guess it is nesting.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 8:34PM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Hmm, must have a fledgling or nest near.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 6:50AM
Acadiafun

Oh my how interesting because who would think a hawk would attack a human? I too wonder if there was a nest or baby hawk nearby. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
Plant ID
I have what appears to be a Dandelion but, not quite....
MAKofForest
Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?
About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed...
actionclaw
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
shrews in my house
Hi everyone! I'm new to the gardenweb. I have a question...
NJdragonfly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™