Viburnum dentatum

htown(North Houston)July 13, 2005

Does anyone grow Viburnum dentatum? I was wondering if any of yall ever see birds or butterflies utilizing this plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
viburnumvalley(z5/6 KY)

Yes, over 20 species/varieties/named clones.

Birds nest in these shrubs and immediately consume the wonderful copious blue fruit upon ripening in late summer.

Butterflies and many other insects visit the bounty of flowers as these plants bloom through May here in KY.

Peruse the many threads on this forum about V. dentatum, arrowwood, for much more detailed information.

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 6:57AM
jillmcm(z6 PA)

I have arrowwood, and I've never seen a ripe berry :) Butterflies don't seem to be a major pollinator, but the smaller fry love the flowers.

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 11:10AM
sarahbn(z6Pa.)

I have arrowood too I have seen berries they were on the tree for a while I saew some green berries today but that was on the blackhaw viburnum prunifolium I will check tomorrow. Sarah

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 11:02PM
Elaine_NJ6

I have one large shrub in the middle of a row of grey dogwood. They're in an eastern exposure up against a brick garage wall that's covered in Virginia creeper. In natural areas around here the two species grow together, but my placing them that way was pure serendipity--I didn't know they were companions when I planted them, probably didn't know there was such a thing as companions. The arrowwood holds its own against the rather assertive dogwood.

The berries ripen at the same time as the grey dogwood, and every single one disappears immediately, just like the dogwood berries.

Bookmark   July 23, 2005 at 10:46PM
gilley111

Talk about raising the dead........I have lost all and I mean all my dentatums due to viburnum leaf beatle. It took two years and many different opinions to id the problem by then it was too late.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
Baby Mallards
I am in desperate need of some help. We just hatched...
michelewelker
Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?
About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed...
actionclaw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™