How do I kill these agressive weeds!!!

tom_p_pa(08840)July 27, 2005

I have some beds of pacrasandra (spelling??) that have been overcome by weeds. They are almost impossible to pull out without damage/pulling out the pacrasandra. Any ideas? I believe they are Mary's grass (according to the rutgers website at:

http://www.rcre.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.asp?marysgrass.

Mary's Grass, is also called stiltgrass because of the

stilt-like structure at the base of the culm. Some manuals list it as Eulalia viminea. Practically unknown in New Jersey in the early '80s it is now widespread in dense populations. Usually found in moist, shady habitats. It is an extremely invasive grass although not as yet an economically important weed. Field botanists rank it along with purple loosestrife and garlic mustard in its invasive properties.

Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Can't it be controlled with a grass herbicide that can be applied over the top of broad leaf ornamentals? I'm asking because I am not familiar with this weed, but it is quite easy to spray grass weeds right in the middle of your ornamentals with the right product.

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 10:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
just_curious(7b/8a Canada)

Poast and Select are two herbicides meant for grass, both are expensive. They work best on young grasses, 5 to 6 leaf stage. Older grasses, react more slowly (2 to 3 weeks). Once they begin to head out, forget it.
You could try wiping them with a mild solution (1%) of Round-up. Put on a latex glove with a cotton glove over top. Dip your hand in the solution and grab the leaves you can get at without dripping or touching your ornamentals then pull up. Try not to damage the leaves but get as much Round-up on the pest as you can. Again though, if the grass is mature, the results will be less than desirable.

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Bright green grassy weeds!
Hey everyone - I appreciate the help in advance. I'm...
lukeduke02
Questions about Imazapyr and trees
Hey there. I recently used a product called RM43 to...
Emily Berg
Bleach & Poison Ivy
A few days ago I did a search of the Weeds Forum to...
Xeramatheum
Barricade question
I'm considering purchasing the following for my Bermuda...
gardenal
Sponsored Products
Darby Springs Rug 9' x 12' - SILVER
$7,799.00 | Horchow
Nesta Rug
Design Within Reach
Petite Prince Hand Painted Kids Table And Chair Set
Classic Hostess
VP Home I-Cubes Black Storage Baskets (Pack of 3)
Overstock.com
RGB PixelDMX High Power LED Modules RGB-pixeldmx-hp-80
EnvironmentalLights.com
Wrapped Wire 30 3/4" Wide 4-Light Bathroom Light
Euro Style Lighting
Lanza Row Light - Four Lights
Signature Hardware
Black Buffalo Check 18-Inch Square Pillow
$43.99 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™