Nyger seed and the plant it comes from

ghoghunterAugust 23, 2007

Has anyone had their Nyger seed sprout? I was reading about the plant the seed comes from. It is called Guizotia abyssinica and it get pretty yellow daisy like flowers. I've never seen it myself but wondered if it would grow in Zone 6.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nestmaster(5b WA-USA)

Nyjer is a non-native plant. As such it really shouldn't be sown out-of-doors in that it may compete with native plants. Nyjer seed is imported and heat treated to not germinate. There is some good info. at the link I've provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nyjer Seed

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 9:35AM
ghoghunter

Thanks for the response and the web link! I see now that it is considered a weed. That's too bad because the flower looked so pretty and I was thinking how much cheaper it would be to grow it myself!!! I was just outside trying to fix the brand new feeder I bought for the seed and already the squirrels have tried to rip it apart! They are such pests at my feeder. I don't mind them eating but I wish they wouldn't destroy things in the process!!
Joann

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 9:50AM
terrene(5b MA)

Here in New England people call nyjer "thistle", which seems a little strange to me, because it's not the seed of thistle plants. I've heard that nyjer seed is expensive and that it spoils relatively quickly, but that the Finches love it.

I don't feed nyjer, but I put black oil sunflower seed in a couple of small feeders, and these attract plenty of House finches, Goldfinches, and Purple finches, as well as other birds.

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 12:18AM
terryr(z5a IL)

terrene, you'd be surprised at the number of people who have always called it thistle and think it comes from thistle plants. I cannot feed BOSS because of HOSP. They seem to love the stuff. Nyjer keeps well in the freezer. The Gold finches and House finches eat it pretty fast here.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 10:53PM
fredjudex_btinternet_com

The nyjer/nyger seed I buy for our goldfinches sprouts like mad in an uncultivated corner of the garden. I'm waiting to see what it's like when fully grown. At the moment it is just a lot of large, green leaves.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 9:45AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

One year I could swear they sprouted ... but our season is not long enough to mature.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
30+ turkey vultures!
Hi all, I was driving home from picking my kids up...
catherinet
Wasp nest? rid of it? leave it alone?
Same one in the pictures but with different angles...
chueh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™