buckthorn!!!

WIDOWER_GARDENER(z5/MASS)August 16, 2005

I have been digging buckthorns out for years to no avail. Root remnants left in the ground breakout anew with even more vigor and stems. How to I end the invasion once and for all??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseunhip(z5b QC)

What I always do is look out for them in the spring and fall, when the soil is soaked (for the roots to come).
At less than a foot high, grasping the stem firmly usually does it, with a reasonable strength exerted.
At more than a foot high, I always carry a shovel, get a good grasp on the stem with a leather-palmed garden glove, then pull and dig out the root simultaneously.
I have good success with that method. But I understand larger shrubs require a lot of work to get all the root out. Keep up!

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 9:27AM
matt_v(Z5 central NY)

Greetings! Location is everything, this method will not work in a planting bed. In hedge rows or wilds, I lop off the stem/trunk within a foot of the ground. Using a steel spade or hatchet, I split the stump or remainder of the stem. Then, pack a handful of Halite or rock salt into the wound. As the salt dissolves, it is absorbed into the Buckthorn's root system. Dead!! Forever.

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 8:23PM
chuckr30(z5, GR-MI)

Matt, good idea to pack a poison into the wound. Though I might use Round Up Brush Killer sprayed into the split stump. It's not supposed to stay around for years like salt would.

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
What is the name of this bush?
I saw this blooming bush in Shoreline Park in Mt. View,...
ger45ti
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Squirrels are stealing my river rock
Over the past two weeks I have observed the squirrels...
Brian.evans
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™