Curious what kind of Animal Poop this is???

terrene(5b MA)August 20, 2006

I live in a suburb of Boston, about 20 miles outside the city. It is not densely developed here and there are farmlands and woodlands is this area. I see deer, coyotes, rabbits, possums, raccoons etc. pretty regularly.

The back of my lot is pretty wild and overgrown (mostly with invasives, unfortunately). I found this pile of poop back there last week. It is a fairly large pile, about six inches across. Any idea what animal made this excrement? Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vonyon

Not sure, but you can look on this website. Could this be a dog that didn't feel too good?

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal Scat

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 8:11PM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

Could be a "sick" animal...most often with some pathogen like GIARDIA which can be transferred to humans or pets through contact. Obviously you aren't going to touch it on purpose but just be wary that sickness is a distinct possibility esp. if you have any pets that also access this area. Our dog had Giardia and it's something you don't wish on your WORST enemy. If pets are sniffing around or even eating animal excrement they are in a position to get diseases carried in the intestinal tract of wild animals. I would be inclined to take a shovel out there and cover over it with fresh soil IF you have a pet who roams in the area.

Barb

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 12:51PM
bluebars(7 MD)

Likely raccoon or oppossum. knottyceltic is right--NEVER touch scat, regardless of who or what left it. If you must remove it, use a plastic bag and dispose, or bury it somewhere that you won't be digging or gardening.
BlueBars

Bookmark   August 31, 2006 at 7:05AM
terrene(5b MA)

Thanks all - looks like this might be from an animal with a GI problem - and thanks for the warning about not making contact with animal scat!

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
A very strange plant
The plant you're looking at is a Catawhatisthis, very...
plantnut65
first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?
Hi, This is my 1st post here! Can you guys recommend...
kris2001
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™