Anyone in MA have black squirrels yet?

Sully4(5a)August 22, 2005

I have both red and gray squirrels but no black ones. I have seen them in Canada many times but heard they are now in New England. Anyone have them showing up at their house?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jillmcm(z6 PA)

Black squirrels in most areas are not a separate species, but a common mutation of the gray squirrel - they are melanistic, which means they have more pigment than normal. In some areas, the black squirrels come to outnumber or equal the gray, especially if the population was artificially increased by university experiments (as near Kent State in Ohio). There are parts of Ohio and DC that have large populations without intervention, too. We have seen a few here near Philly, and they can pop up anywhere.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 4:15PM
WIDOWER_GARDENER(z5/MASS)

None sighted in my area of North Andover. Chipmunks have been sparse this summer as well.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 5:44PM
ellen_s(z5 centralMA)

My parents in Acton reported a black squirrel last year...

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 8:43AM
vonyon

I believe there have been black squirrels in Acton for years. I grew up there, in fact. I also know that Westfield State College has black squirrels all over the campus.

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 5:34PM
navymom2226(7- R.I.)

Hi Sully, RI here/ and we have just the grey squirrels. Would love to see a black one, or even a chipmunk.

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 10:37AM
jancarkner(Ottawa CAN)

I guess it is a regional thing. We have only black-coloured (grey) squirrels. I'll have to look to see if I can find a grey one!

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 11:34AM
tracey_nj6(6)

There's a few in Leonia, NJ; it really freaked me out the first time that I saw them ;) I've seen a few in different locations in the town.

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 2:20PM
meilie(z7 MD)

We've had black squirrels in the DC area for 20 years now. I thought they were offspring of escapees from the National Zoo . . . , if they're truly mutants of the local species, then I've noticed they are getting more brownish/red from a mixed bloodline of other grey squirrels. I've seen a few albino squirrels downtown DC and they're quite a treat. Anyone in need of grey squirrels, send me postage and I'll send you a dozen. They keep eating my green apples and I've yet to taste a ripe one since they're eaten/dropped on the ground before September harvest.

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 5:31PM
tommysmommy(Colorado)

I saw my first (and only) black squirrel in McKinney Texas, a northern suburb of Dallas. I'd understood they came from the midwest. Currently living in Denver suburbs, and have never seen one here.

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 12:31PM
gee01757_yahoo_com

We have seen black squirrels in Milford, Ma and everyone thought we were "nuts", hahaha....

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 9:17AM
jillhudock(z7 PA)

Where I grew up there were black squirrels - this is in the Poconos of Pennsylvania near a little town called Conyngham. The folklore around these were that the Butlers (the county is named after them) brought a pair over from Europe so that they would not miss them.

We would see one occasionally pop up in the normal population.

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 4:28PM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

Got lots of them out here in the woods in West Michigan.
Lisa

Bookmark   November 15, 2005 at 11:26AM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

63 yrs living in rural and urban areas around Wisconsin, and I saw my first black squirrel at a family reunion this year. Many of them, in fact. All lived on the north end of Lake Winnebago in the Menasha/Appleton area. So far, havent seen any in the SE area (Milwaukee area) where I live. Pondy

Bookmark   November 17, 2005 at 6:50PM
loomis(Z6a Western MA)

They've been in Westfield, MA, for years. I've also seen a few in Longmeadow. I love the black squirrels and wish I could bag a few & bring them to our yard.

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 11:49PM
spl91046(Texas)

We've seen a black squirrel in our back yard in Northwest San Antonio this month. All others have been fox squirrels.

Bookmark   November 24, 2005 at 4:45PM
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Years ago we had grey squirrels with white tipped ears Very interesting but I do not suppose that unusual. Steve in Baltimore

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 11:48AM
rosanna8

I just saw a black squirrel today 4/27/08 in my backyard. I live in Kenosha, WI. I have done some research and it looks like the black squirrel has been seen in the northern and central part of the state but not in the southeastern part of the state. Is this a first?

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 12:25PM
abbybirds

we get them locally here in western MA! :)

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 5:29PM
watkins_jb_gmail_com

a solo fellow showed up in the city park behind our house this fall - he can be seen on my flickr photo site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30420605@N06/

ben w

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 12:36PM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

I saw a sleek shiny totally black squirrel on Nov 4, 2010 near the San Jose, California airport! What a surprise. Tried to get a quick photo but it ran off the second I moved.
Min

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 10:33AM
Renee03_gmail_com

I just saw one in Maynard, MA!

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 8:54AM
Lauren_degregorio_capecod_edu

I just saw a black one with a grey one in Bourne MA...so glad I got a picture!

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 9:39PM
angeljt_aol_com

We have one in my Mom's back yard in Malden. He's been here for a few years. I've only seen the one and I did get some pictures of him/her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black squirrel

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 1:24PM
jreedy_rcn_com

I saw a black squirrel in Newton Massachusetts 5/27/11. It scampered up a tree with a grey one right behind! Too bad I couldn't get my camera out quick enough!

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 7:21AM
auntbunny

There are a few in Stoneham and also in Charlestown

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 7:18AM
ptrainer78_yahoo_com

There was a Black Squirrel sighting in North Reading Massachusetts today. He looked like a large rat at first, but as I got closer, sure enough he was a squirrel. Little guy with very good jumping ability.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 9:47PM
Traceeinteriors_gmail_com

Yes!! Saw one yesterday in public garden. I've lived in the city for almost 10 years. I was amazed by it! Very cool looking and kind of hopping around strangely. I took a picture!!

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 5:48PM
lucylou22

i have one in my backyard in medford ma

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 2:30PM
abillouise

I've seen black squirrels in the Ball Square neighborhood of Somerville, MA for the first time this year, starting around September. I'm not sure if there are several or just one. But I got a few pics of a really fat, well-fed black squirrel this afternoon in my backyard.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 4:42PM
bonnie252

We saw our first black squirrel in our back yard yesterday.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 12:29PM
Runnerguy

Greetings,

My wife and I spotted a black squirrel at our home today in North Andover. I'm familiar with them in DC but have never seen them around these parts before.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 11:16AM
dancegypsy(7)

There are some great videos on YouTube of black squirrels. I would love to see one live, but I think it will be a while before they make their way to GA. I have a friend who lives near Philadelphia who has had both albino and black squirrels get tame enough to come to him for peanuts in his back yard. Not at the same time. That would be a rush. If I can figure out how to post this, here's a link to a black squirrel video:

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Squirrel Video

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 4:32PM
jkirk78

I saw a black squirrel today in stoneham, Ma at 91 Montvale Ave.. I have never seen one before and was quite surprised.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 5:34PM
dat45auto

We have seen a black squirrel in our backyard for about a month now at Lowther Road Framingham, Ma.

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 4:38PM
paynstrups

Just saw a black squirrel for the first time in Sudbury, MA!

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:10AM
SootyOarsman

Many years ago I was visiting my uncle near Chicago and was stunned to see that the squirrels in his yard were black! Coming from Massachusetts, I had never seen anything but gray squirrels. This month, I'm reporting repeated sitings of a black squirrel in my yard near the harbor in Plymouth MA. Still plenty of gray squirrels... but at least one shinny black squirrel among them. Thanks to this list for verification of other sightings. It's always surprising to find growing numbers of fauna not usually experienced in New England. How about the number of possum or turkey vultures (or turkeys?)

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 12:43PM
edlincoln(6A)

Not in my area, but there is a small colony living in Boston near the Waterfront/Convention Center area and I understand UMass Amherst has them.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 2:36PM
KimPH

I may be posting this for a second time (I don't see my first post). I have seen a black squirrel on Beach St in Woburn going into the Woodbrook Cemetery. I've either seen the same one twice or there are 2 in the neighborhood there.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:45PM
DirigoBlue

Yes! In the last few weeks we've observed a black squirrel at our bird feeders. We live in Dalton, in western MA (zone 5b). 8/21/2014

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:06AM
rnorwood

This year we have seen a black squirrel in our yard in Monument Beach, MA. I saw it in the spring, but it disappeared. We saw it this morning, and it spent some time at our bird feeders.

Bookmark   October 9, 2014 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Anyone an Ecologists? Predation (Red Fox)
We have Red fox that seems to not have any predator's....
ladyrose65
What is the name of this bush?
I saw this blooming bush in Shoreline Park in Mt. View,...
ger45ti
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?
About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed...
actionclaw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™