Poisoning Poison Ivy
Hello all. I live in a semi-rural area of the hill country and have some beautiful old live oaks in my yard that are such a godsend, especially in the heat of the summer. Unfortunately I also have a patch of poison ivy underneath them - about 10 x 20 feet. I'm wondering if anyone knows a good safe way to eliminate the poison ivy without endangering the trees? I'm terrified of using chemicals because if anything happened to those grand old trees I don't know what I'd do....besides cry and go into mourning for months. I read the label on one product sold at Home Depot for killing poison ivy and there were all kinds of warnings about getting it on surrounding plants, or it getting into ground water, etc. How difficult and effective would it be to dig it up? Or maybe I could find someone nearby who would lend me a goat to eat it...but I don't know if that would actually kill the roots. Is there something I haven't thought of? Perhaps a more benign product or method? Thanks.