Weed identification central NJ

marklevinson1(NJ)August 19, 2013

Hi,

I have 4 weeds I need to identify to purchase the correct weed killer for. Can you please help?

Weed #1

Weed #2

Weed #3

Weed #4

thanks so much,

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bookwoman

The third one is spurge, and the last looks like oxalis, along with what looks like purslane (the brown stem sticking up to the left). The best weedkiller is pulling them out by hand.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:03PM
marklevinson1(NJ)

Thanks so much. Can we do one more?

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 3:02PM
marklevinson1(NJ)

Thanks so much. Can we do one more?

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 3:46PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Looks like violets - dig them up too.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 5:07PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The fourth picture above is Yellow Wood Sorrel, "Oxalis stricta" a very common "weed" in any cultivated soil. Quite easily pulled by hand but also easily reseeded by birds.
The first one could be a thistle and the third could well be spurge, a very prolific seed producer. Hand pulling, that gets all of the root, is the single best means of control.

There is more and more evidence appearing that indicates any of the "weed" poisons are very detrimental to wee thingys such as toads and frogs and other of what is known as the lower forms of life.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 7:01AM
jeanne

The first one looks like a Rumex, it's probably a biennial that will go to seed next year. They have a long tap root like a dandelion, I'd manually remove it after a good rain. The second plant looks like Canada Thistle, Cirsium arvense. It's a PITA to deal with and the one most likely to need chemical intervention.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 6:47AM
florauk(8/9)

The first one doesn't look like Rumex to me. More like Sonchus, Sow Thistle. Even if it were Rumex, it would be perennial, not biennial.

The second one doesn't look like Cirsium arvense either. Possibly Erechtites hieraciifolia (American burnweed).

Whatever they are I agree that the way to get rid of them is to dig them out. You don't need a herbicide for individual plants like these. Reserve that, if you must use it, for large areas entirely covered in weeds.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Can you please name this weed which grows vertically
It seems to be growing vertically, can you please name...
maufie
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™