Do tomatoes produce all season?

chillilover(Zone 6b)July 23, 2008

I have a pink cherry tomato plant that gave me about 25 tomatoes so far but I don't see any new blossoms. I was just wondering if more will grow once all the ones I have now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reaverg(7b)

It should keep producing until the first frost. Best of luck. Unless of course it is a determinate variety. But I've never heard of a determinate cherry; I'd be kind of frustrated if there were one too. :D cheers.
by the way- determinate means it can stop producing fruit before the first frost.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 2:18AM
davidinct

Tomatoes flower in waves. Yours are getting ready for another flush of flowers. This is more noticable in beefsteaks but cherries do it as well.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 3:56AM
containerted

A small dose of nitrogen would encourage additional growth and help the flowering - unless you used fertilizer in the soil preparation. It would help to know the variety name.

Reaverg --- Determinate Cherry Tomatoes - How about Husky Cherry Red, Garten Perle, Red Robin, Tiny Tim, Tumbling Tom, Aunt Ruby's German Cherry, Balconi Red, Balconi Yellow, Baxter Bush Cherry, Cherry Grande, Chibikko, Ditmarsher, Florida Basket, Green Grape, and Micro Tom - to mention a few.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 9:12AM
wvtomatoman(z6 WV)

Indeterminate varieties produce until a killing frost.

Determinate varieties produce their tomatoes and are done (yes some determinates will produce more than one "batch").

That's why it is important to know which type you have.

If you know the variety we can tell you which type it is (determinate or indeterminate).

That's why it is important to know which variety you have.

Good luck.

Randy

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 9:46AM
chillilover(Zone 6b)

It just said pink cherry on the tag. The only problem is that I have tiny black flying beatles eating the leaves. Will this stop the plant from producing again?

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 1:27PM
alley_cat_gw

I have the same thing with three grape toms! No more growing tips after last batch of tomatoes. The plants ended in tomato trusses and are now starting to yellow some. Lots of greens left that im sure will turn.
Thats one mistake i wont make next year. This spring i didnt know the difference between ind. and det.
Also if the seller doesnt provide that info on the tag,i wont be buying.
AL

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 1:49PM
chillilover(Zone 6b)

Heres some pics of the leaves and the culprits.

Heres two of the insects. Any Ideas what they are?

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 5:46PM
chesnok(z6 AR)

they look like some kind of flea beetle. there are many different species.

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 1:25PM
reaverg(7b)

That picture does look like the flea beetles (or what I've been calling flea beetles) I have around here.

Ted, I guess I should have consulted your spreadsheet of over 400 tomato varieties before making my post. :D Thanks for that by the way.

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
1st time growing tomato seeds in plugs
Hello, this is my first time growing tomato seeds in...
Thomas Eyr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™