Micro Tomato Plant Main Stem Broke

lalashi485July 13, 2011

Help! I'm really new to gardening and I accidentally broke the main stem of my micro tomato plant nearly all the way through. I'm so upset because it was just starting to give fruit (6 tiny tomatoes so far). I followed suggestions I saw here on the forum and patched up the break as best I could. I also added a few bamboo sticks for support and burried the break as far down as I could. I went ahead and buried all the leaves close to the break while I was at it. The thing is, the plant has wilted pretty badly since yesterday and I wanted to know if I should remove the little tomatoes or if it doesn't make a difference at this point. Should I just snap the top off and try to re-bury it? Or, is it too late to salvage my poor little plan?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Wait and see

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 3:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spider(z5 IN)

Hi' was the leaves still on the plant when buried it, you need to take the leaves off the part you are going to stick in the ground. But' all tomatoe plants have suckers, look between the leaves and the stem' there should be a little tomatoe plant growing - snap it off and plant it but make sure you keep it water good and I have taken a plant that was broken and put it in a bucket of water and put it the shade until it grew roots and then plant it.
Good luck - Spider

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™