Need a real quick answer

ferroplasm Zone 7bAugust 5, 2014

I'm converting a portion of my lawn to a garden. This area is currently bermudagrass turf with a lot of weeds. I will be creating a large raised bed by shoveling 4-6 inches of purchased soil on top of it. I sprayed with 1% glyphosate 1.5 weeks ago and again sprayed with 2% glyphosate last night to kill off all the bermudagrass. Do you think it would be OK to begin moving in the soil and covering up all the existing turf? I need this soil out of my driveway ASAP.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

OK. Real quick answer. If your Bermuda was well irrigated and maybe even fertilized (to make it happy and growing at its maximum) it will respond to the glyphosate fairly well by taking the product deeply into its roots. But, it is rare that the Bermuda would be totally eradicated. You will be lucky if you get 90-95% kill if the answer to the two previous questions was "yes."

So, likely the answer is "maybe." But that will amount to following up the next season with a follow up, each and every time nailing the Bermuda when it rears it ugly head. And also, around the edge of the raised bed you will have to nail it there, too.

Bermuda is tenacious and will continue to be a threat unless you are also tenacious and stay on top of it.

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Unidentified Giant 16' Weed/Tree that looks a bit like a pappaya
Back in January I saw a little 2 inches shoot coming...
alexcortez
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
Weed Identification (Florida)
Good afternoon, I have a problem with a weed (type...
BoogieMan2718
Can you please name this weed which grows vertically
It seems to be growing vertically, can you please name...
maufie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™