Horror of Horrors! Can you Identify This?

stkgrl(Zone 8 Sumner)August 18, 2007

Looking for help from all of you gardening gurus. Can anyone tell me what this weed is and how to get rid of it! It has loooooonnnnggg runners and plants pop up along the length of the runners. It's not as tough as horsetail to pull out, but boy is it hardy. Just when I thought I got it all, it comes back.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tami

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbs_illinois_4(z4b Illinois)

This looks like the weed I have been trying to deal with in a garden at my daughter's school--I just thank goodness it's not growing in my own yard (though I do have every other weed possible I think). I hadn't been able to ID it until I saw it here, either this forum or Name That Plant. It's Sheep Sorrel (Rumex acetosella)I believe. Let me know if you figure out a way to get rid of it, please!

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 5:11AM
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

dbs has the ID right. It is quite a spreader because it has runners as well as seeds. You can pull all the plants and there will still be seeds in the ground that can grow. I've gotten good control using herbicides (curtail and roundup). In a lawn, neither of these products is appropriate. Where is yours growing?

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 6:19PM
riverminty

I know this won't help you to get rid of it (as for how to instruct you on this I'm at a loss), but I thought I'd just point out that if you want to, you can actually use that weed- it's edible like yellow wood sorrel and can be added to salads and the like. SO.... ;)

Good luck on how to remove it!!

Bookmark   September 19, 2007 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Poor Man's Weed Barrier
I need to block weeds and grass from popping up from...
jeff_leites
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
Unidentified Giant 16' Weed/Tree that looks a bit like a pappaya
Back in January I saw a little 2 inches shoot coming...
alexcortez
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™