get rid of weeds then re-plant?

zlobeAugust 18, 2009

I have a garden/flower bed in my backyard. This year I did not get time to plant anything and it became overgrown with weeds. In addition, I added more dirt to the bed from where I had dug for a shed in my yard, and that dirt had grass in it. My question is, is there an easy way for me to kill all of the weeds/grass or whatever is growing in there right now to prepare for next year to be able to use my garden with a clean slate, so to speak? I thought I could use weed killer but how long does that stay in the soil? Basically I want to be able to use the soil about 8 months from now so I would be happy to hear any suggestions. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Think in terms of a weed torch. Not many weeds will be germinating for the rest of the summer. If they do, torch 'em again later. Chemicals might affect what you decide to do with the space...
hortster

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 9:34PM
JAYK(8b)

There are many ways to accomplish your goal, but if you do choose to use herbicides, choose carefully as some will persist and affect future use of the area. For example, glyphosate based herbicides will not act herbicidally in the soil after application, but soil sterilants such as Triox will.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape weed IPM

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 12:38AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

A very simple and really inexpensive way to kill off growing "weeds" in that bed is to cover it with newspaper or cardboard and cover that with compost or a mulch material to hold it in place, no expensive "weed" or plant killers needed and certainly no chance then of contaminating the soil with unwanted substances. Cut off any plants access to light and it will die, as will any plants, including the grasses, growing in that area.

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 6:59AM
More Discussions
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
Can you please name this weed which grows vertically
It seems to be growing vertically, can you please name...
maufie
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™