Pease Help Identify

tulsaweedAugust 7, 2009

Here is a bigger picture and clearer picture. The weed in the picture is slowly, but surely taking over my yard which a Bermuda grass yard. If you could please help to identify and give me an idea how to get rid of the weed, I be would greatly obliged

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

It is still hard to ID this critter, but thanks for the clearer picture. Two possibilities come to mind - large crabgrass, Digitaria sanguinalis, except that it has reddish stems at the base of the plant that are not visible in your picture, and some type of cupgrass, Eriochloa spp. Cupgrass in younger seedling stages can resemble large crabgrass. I'm sure that there are other possiblities as well.
In either case the first thing I would check is the thickness of thatch in your Bermuda. For either of these grasses to completely dominate Bermuda like that there must be something giving them a great advantage. Dig a couple of chunks up and check thatch. If it has become too thick the Bermuda will struggle and the weeds will win.
hortster

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 3:02PM
cathy_2009

I have these weeds growing unders my azaela's. They are kinda look like a hedge birdweed, but don't have flowers and when you pull them out, there is a nut(size of a small marble), on the end. I think I have them all pulled out and more keep coming! What are they and how do I get rid of them! They climb up in my azaela's and are trying to take over.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 3:24PM
tulsaweed

Thank you to both of you for responding to my question. I did pull some of the weed up and it is very thick and it is not red on the end. The picture was taken after it had been mowed if it makes it easy to identify I can post another picture. I really appreciate your help.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Weed Identification Kern River Valley, CA
Hoping some folks might be able (willing) to help me...
nexev - Zone 8b
Questions about Imazapyr and trees
Hey there. I recently used a product called RM43 to...
Emily Berg
Weed and feed help
I put bonus S weed and feed down a week or so ago and...
volcomstone4u
Please help identify these vines
These are young examples of these vines that can grow...
jmccown0999
Chemical Free Weed Control? - Wild Violet, Plantain, Wild Strawb
Hello! What chemical free ways are available to rid...
nice_girl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™