Spraying for Nutsedge and replanting daylilies

Rudbeckia412August 19, 2013

In a fit of anger over nutsedge in a flowerbed, I dug up the daylilies and sprayed the nutsedge with Image. Now I am wondering how long I have to wait to replant the daylilies?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

What does the label say?

BTW, you might be interested in reading this about nutsedge:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7432.html

Here is a link that might be useful: nutsedge in home gardens

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:45PM
rober49(5 St Louis)

what did you spray? if it a chemical that kills the plant when the plant itself is sprayed like roundup you should be able to replant immediately. if you used a soil treatment read the label. i've been spraying spectracide on the nutsedge after covering the plants i want with overturned plastic pots to protect them. after the 5th spraying the sedge is finally disappearing. i read on a state agriculture web site that after repeated spraying & pulling the 'nuts' eventually lose their potency & become too weak to regenerate new growth. i gave up on my vegetable garden this year & have sprayed & tilled it weekly. i'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:31PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Image, "imazaquin", is a product of lower toxicity than Spectracide.
Control of nutsedge requires some understanding of the plant and its origins. All sedges evolved in wet lands and the Yellow Nutsedges, Purple Nutsedges, and others grow best in soils that replicate wet lands, moist.
There will be those that will state here that the people at the University of California, or any other state university, do not know what they (those with pHDs) are talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Nutsedge

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:38AM
Rudbeckia412

I know that the primary nutsedge I have is yellow and I know that it came in with topsoil when we built our raised flower beds several years ago. I have dug them up, pulled them up and as a last resort sprayed with Image. I also understand that nutsedge grows best in moist conditions which we definitely have. The label is not specific about replanting mature plants - only about reseeding with grass.
Thanks for the links about nutsedge but I still am wondering about the effect of replanting in the same area where I recently sprayed.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 8:45AM
eline65(9)

you probably should wait a couple weeks. The label suggests you spray it in w/in 1-7 days.

Call them to be sure. 1-800-265-0761

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 3:06AM
More Discussions
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
ID weed, please
After living here 45 years, this plant (weed) began...
hottea
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™