Raised Garden Questions

nan59June 23, 2012

This was our first year at a raised garden. The black-eyed & purple hull peas did great, but that is all. The squash, cucumber, beans & zucchini made beautiful plants but very little to no fruit. The corn only grew to about 3 ft and produced very small ears. I started out with garden soil from a local landscape company and used miracle grow once a month. I did put some iron on the beds after a 6 inch rain and we had alot of yellow leaves. Any suggestions, I would like to plant in the fall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Do a soil test. Maybe the soil is lacking something. I add compost, cottonmeal greensand. I am always adding something. I do garden organically. I am always building the soil with something. Is there a nursery that does a organic approach? Their soil is usually better.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 1:14AM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

I've been told to fertilize the plants at the beginning but then to stop feeding them after they've matured or all you'll get is nice pretty plants with no fruit. I haven't researched it, but it seems logical.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 9:06AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

One can change the fertilizer from one that pushes more Nitrogen to one that encourages flowering. This is true for tomatoes.

I get out and make sure that the squashes and cukes are fertilized by taking makle flowers and taking on the role of pollinator. . Also timing is crucial of WHEN you planted your plants.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:52AM
pierce3215(9A)

Hey nan59,

I live in Katy/Houston area and have had some troubles myself, yet very successful with several things I planted. I planted everything in late February / Early march. Here are some pictures of my raised beds and similar issues with the squash, cucumbers, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: plants

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Need Texas wisteria in Austin
Good morning! Does anyone know where I can find Texas...
atxhoolie
Thoughts on my grow list....
These guys are getting potted up the first time on...
reedbaizetex
What is this plant?
Need help identifying this plant. It is growing in...
stephendbrown
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Pink & White flowering native trees
I saw some light pink flowering trees yesterday in...
ruthz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™