How did you get rid of Perennial Sowthistle Sonchus arvensis

robicho(5a CANADA)August 26, 2012

Hello All,

I've got an infestation of Perennial Sowthistle in my garden and wonder how you got rid of yours? I'm in an area of Ontario, Canada where chemical pesticides are banned.

Because it spreads underground by a huge inter-twining root highway, I'm thinking of building myself a soil screen and digging up my garden area-by-area and attempt to control it that way.

Any less 'back-breaking' ideas out there??

Thanks

Berni

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robicho(5a CANADA)

Sorry ... not 'pesticides' ... should have said 'chemical weed control products' ! LOL

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 4:39AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

"Pesticide" has very broad meanings that include herbicides and insecticides, so your use was correct.
Sowthistle spreads vegetativley as well as by seeds and rhizomes so control can be somewhat difficult. To gain control of the area they are growing in now cover the plants with newspaper or cardboard and cover that with a mulch material, or dig them out.
Ontario is ahead of the curve on environmental protection as well as protecting human beings from the adverse affects of the poisons they have banned.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 6:53AM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Hoe it out every time is shows up. That will starve the roots. Deer and sheep also prefer it, however they won't kill the plant unless penned there, which from personal experience doesn't do the garden veggies and flowers any good.

Apparently the Luddites are alive and well in Ontario.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 1:57AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Not luddites, but intelligent people concerned with what many are doing to the planet we live on.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
Can you help me identify this weed?
It is growing in Atlanta, Georgia.
tigger033
Use of Preen in March for April planting - zone 5a
Good Morning! I have to clean a weedy area to prepare...
sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
Can anyone tell me if this is a weed or flower and type
Can anyone tell me if this is a weed or flower and...
jayp1980
Barricade question
I'm considering purchasing the following for my Bermuda...
gardenal
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™