Help with crabgrass and reseeding
Hello, I got a house with a very weedy yard and the neighbor upwind is even weedier. I've been able to control the dandelions by pulling but the crabgrass has taken over in front. I know I need to apply a pre-emergent herbicide for crabgrass but I have a few questions. My front lawn is small, maybe a few hundred square feet and I'm in zone 7A according to http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
1) Which one? Scotts Turf Builder Crabgrass Preventer Fertilizer gets good reviews but it doesn't seem to be available locally. Is there a better brand? I'm real concerned about over doing it with a liquid and thought a powder/pellet would be easiest to control, like Scotts or Preen.
2) Can I do a fall crabgrass preventer application or does it have to be in the spring?
3) Would it help for me to pull up the current crabgrass before putting down the preventer?
4) I need to also put down grass seed, how do I time the crabgrass preventer and the seed application?
5) I have an unopened bag of Pennington Seed Smart Seed Landscapers Mix Tall Fescue/Bluegrass. I can return it if it's bad for 7A or with a crabgrass infested lawn (or bad in general).
6) Any other tips?