Invasive grass type identification

KayTodayAugust 14, 2014

I've tried to search to find out what this invasive grass is that is taking over my extensive lawn but it's so difficult to try to ID it by a google search. A pre-emergent doesn't work nor does a general grass weed killer. On a positive note - I am slowly getting the Bermuda grass killed off. Now if I could just find out what this is so I can find the right selective herbicide for it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14

Based on the two just-emerging inflorescences and overall look, it seems more likely to be "graminoid" than grass, i.e., a sedge, something like Cyperus (for example, Cyperus esculentus, yellow nutsedge) or similar.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

If it is nut sedge and it looks like it except for the little bloom, maybe I kill mine before that comes on. You can not get rid of it by pulling it out. There is a special spray that will kill it by Ortho if I remember right, $8. It may take 2 or 3 applications. The reason you can't pull it like most weeds is there is a little nut on the end of the roots that will not come out when you pull it. It breaks off and grows into another plant. It likes wet places to grow.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Help identifying weed - Austin Tx(Multiple pictures)
Hello, I'm attempting to identify this weed that grows...
paulburk426
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
What is the name of this ugly ivy growing in my yard???!!!?
Its almost all over my lawn well in the bk yard its...
ashleyq2222
Best organic solutions
Hello, Any advice on the best things to buy to address...
tigger033
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™