Pinworms

DKTomatoJuly 18, 2012

I discovered very small pinworms yesterday on my 2 container tomato plants (big boy and celebrity). I discarded all the affected leaves and sprayed BT. The plants were showing signs of stress the past 3 weeks and I thought it may be early blight coming on - I was wrong. The plants seem to be doing fine at this point and I will continue spraying every 7-10 days.

Before I sprayed the BT, I picked off 15 fruits from the 2 plants. Most of the fruits do not appear to have any damage from the pinworms. I did notice that one of the fruits had a pinworm at the calyx. I cut open two other fruits and there does not appear to be any damage, and there was no sight of worms. My question is: are the fruits safe to eat (assuming there is no visible sign of worms)?

I have another 40 fruits to pick in the coming 2-3 weeks as its been a good growing year so far. Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DKTomato

Here is a picture of the Celebrity - I took it this morning. As you can see, I had to strip off a lot of the bottom leaves.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 4:41PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Are the fruits safe to eat? Yes. They are most likely not pin worms but tomato fruitworms, the larvae of a moth that lays eggs right on the calyx. They hatch there and eventually burrow into the fruit but the entry point is usually pretty obvious. The BT will take care of them.

Dave

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:31PM
DKTomato

Thanks for the response Dave. The worms I have are causing significant damage to the leaves. They burrow into the leaf cavity and cause a leaf section to curl - almost making a protective area. At first, the area becomes translucent and eventually the section of the leaf becomes brown. They also leave a black substance in the pouch that they feed in. Does this sound like a fruitworm?

I sprayed BT 48 hours ago but found about 6 worms today burrowed into separate leaves. I will get some photos tomorrow.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 11:00PM
DKTomato

Here is a picture of some leaves I cut this morning. You can't see it, but there is a small grey worm in one of the leaves.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
Tomato clips
I'm thinking of using tomato clips this year. Tying...
carriehelene
Turbo-Tomato Mulch (Red Plastic) From Gurneys
First time poster here. I wonder if anybody has used...
andrew_swmo
Cost effective hydroponic media for 5 gallon DIY dutch bucket
I started gardening two years ago growing tomatoes...
miguelngel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™