These pics were sent by a friend

v1rtu0s1ty(5a)September 10, 2010

A friend sent this to me this afternoon. It's a plant and the other one is a vine. I saw it when I went there last time. He pulled but it keeps coming back.

I also have a vine that looks very similar to it. I saw it in 2007. It was 1 foot long. I dug the area until I could no longer see any roots. Anyways, after 3 years, I saw it again. :(

Anyways, here are the pictures from my friend. Hopefully someone can id it and help us how to get rid of it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

I believe the vine is bindweed and the other plant is a mulberry.
hortster

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 12:52PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

are they easy to remove? Mine came back after 3 years.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 1:10PM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Both plants have root systems from hades. Constant removal each time they rear their ugly heads is the best answer. Get all that you can each time. Tenacity!
hortster

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 4:33PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Bindweed can have an extensive root system that will allow regrowth if not completely removed but birds eat the seeds and drop them and these seeds germinate and grow and that is more likely what you had after 3 years, reseeding.
Mulberries grow from seeds so if someone is seeing Mulberry trees growing in their garden there is one around, somewhere that the birds eat the fruit of and drop the seeds that germinate and grow. If new growth from those roots is not cut off fairly quickly the roots can grow enough to allow new growth from those roots, but diligence in keeping any new growth cut off which then deprives the roots of needed nutrients so the roots die is necessary.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™