Need green & legal method for killing stray tree in a hedge

roseunhip(z5b QC)September 11, 2005

I have posted about this in the past, but cannot find the more or less legal, "hard" product that was recommended to me + am a bit scared to use it...

So I wonder if anyone now wouldn't have any easy and handy method instead, if there is one at all...

It's this Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) tree, or anyway some parent species, that keeps growing inside my honeysuckle hedge, in a spot that's impossible to unroot. The best I can do is saw it close to the ground, then apply... whatever would work at killing it, while sparing the hedge trees of course.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jillmcm(z6 PA)

If you chop it down enough times, that will kill it without needing any chemicals. You can also girdle it (remove the bark deeply in a complete circle) which will also kill it, and then you could remove it.

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 6:37PM
dirtgirl(So. Illinois)

Boy, sometimes that can be tough. I was going to suggest girdling also, but I can also attest to the fact that some trees/ shrubs will go ahead and "sucker off", meaning they will send up additional shoots off the root system if you cut the original growth out. I had the WORST time with a single russian olive here in my own woods. I cut it off, sprayed the stump, then built a fire over the stump, then tried to pull out the remains and it STILL puts out small shoots. Granted, every year there are less, but you still have to be diligent and get those stragglers too.
Eventually you will get it done.

Bookmark   September 13, 2005 at 8:57AM
chiroptera_mama

Some Indian tribes would girdle a tree then yell at it each day. The belief was the abuse would cause the spirit of the tree to leave and it would die. Since it's annoying you, it should be easy to think of things to shout. Of course what your neighbors will think... :)

Bookmark   September 13, 2005 at 10:46AM
vonyon

DG, I can attest to black cherries being fairly good at suckering even after you chop the entire tree down. the stump will just sucker away as if nothing happened. Good thing though as they are good wildlife trees.

Bookmark   September 13, 2005 at 7:42PM
sharpshin

try this (which works for me):
cut the unwanted sapling to 6-8" or whatever height you can manage and still reach the top of the stump. using a throw-away brush, IMMEDIATELY paint the top of the stump with a brush killer (ortho brush-b-gone is okay). cover the stump with aluminum foil to keep rain out.

the herbicide will kill the stump, but because you are applying it only to the sapling, it won't touch the ground, infiltrate the soiland be taken up by desirable plants or affect your soil fauna. no runoff, either. this does really, really work.

it's important to treat right away to get the best absorption. even five minutes later, the cells can seal themselves and you won't get good results. good luck.

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 4:48PM
Nancy_Ind_is_now_Ill(west central)

I did something similar to elke except with a hand drill, I put several small holes in the stump as deep as the drill bit would go. Poured a product - Stump Out, Stump Gone, something like that - down into the holes. I was hoping they would be absorbed by the root system since it was a tree that was terrible about sending out new shoots even yards away! It worked!! And the plants even a few inches from the trunk weren't harmed.

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 9:47AM
dampflippers(Tyne & Wear UK)

If you use a stump killer you could tie a piece of black plastic over the top to prevent creatures or children from coming in contact with the chemical.

Bookmark   September 28, 2005 at 7:20AM
faerieannette(z7 MD)

chiroptera_mama, you are so funny! You make me laugh! I want to do that to a couple of trees around here but they are close to the boarder of my and my neighbors property. lol!

-Annette

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
What is the name of this bush?
I saw this blooming bush in Shoreline Park in Mt. View,...
ger45ti
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
Sponsored Products
Gus Modern | Portage Extension Table
YLiving.com
Ariadni Incandescent Light Dimmer by Lutron
$19.00 | Lumens
Elegant Large Faux Leather Storage Ottoman with 2-tray Top
Overstock.com
Fitzgerald Chair - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Braided Area Rug: Boston Common Winter Blues 10' x 13'
Home Depot