Ambitious Forsythia removal

poaky1September 22, 2012

As in the title, I have a Forsythia that is hell-bent on taking over part of my yard and the neighbors driveway. I want to get rid of it because being nice and pruning back a good bit of it is not going to cut it. It just pushes out more growth and is a never ending battle. Roundup only affects some of the new growth. I haven't tried the brush or stronger ROUNDUP formula. It is intertwined with a spruce (norway spruce) that I want to keep. I can try to spray something on the Forsythia and avoid the spruce, but burning would be out of the question because of the spruce.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

My Forsythias are fairly shallow rooted so simply pulling the plant out, roots and all, should not be that much of a problem. No need then to spray a plant poison that is harmful to our envrironment.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 8:24AM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Definitely try digging it up first; as kimmsr says, forsythia are fairly easy to uproot (thank God). If you can't, cut it down to the ground and keep cutting it down when it sends up shoots - you should be able to exhaust it that way.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 10:11AM
poaky1

I didn't tell you how big it is did I? It is about 30' around in a circle. It's been there for about 16 years. It will be hard to even access the original trunk. The shrub was planted before there was a neighbor on the other side of it.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 9:00PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Just start cutting -you'll eventually get to the middle, and you may be surprised at how small (comparatively) the center is. My parents had a forsythia hedge that was about 15 feet deep, but the base plants were about 2 feet by 2 feet. Hopefully you will find something similar. I do recommend that you try digging it up before going to Round Up - have your pruning shears handy to cut the roots.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:27PM
poaky1

I tried brush and poison ivy killer. I feel a bit guilty I must say, but I don't think it is going to even make the Forsythia wilt alittle. Regular round-up did nothing at all. I may have to pay for some help on this one. I can't see me doing it alone. Thanks for the replies.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 8:39PM
poaky1

The brush and poison ivy killer was a waste of money. The Forsythia is not the least bit stressed by the application. I need to figure something else out.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 6:12AM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

You've got to cut it down first - a forsythia that big has too many leaves and too much new growth to be affected by a spray of anything, unless you cover every single leaf. The timing is bad, too, as common wisdom says that herbicides as a rule work better when the plant is actively growing - your forsythia is shutting down for the winter.

Cut it down to stubs, then put a little bit of full-strength Round Up (the concentrate) on the cut surface of the stubs - just enough to cover the top, making sure that it gets where the bark meets the inner wood.

Think of it as Samson - if you cut off its hair(branches), you will weaken it to the point that you can do what you want.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 10:27AM
poaky1

I will try that this fall or next spring.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
Can you please name this weed which grows vertically
It seems to be growing vertically, can you please name...
maufie
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
Ever hear of a weed called common bright-eye?
Did a google search, can't find a pic. Any idea what...
fireweed22
Unidentified Giant 16' Weed/Tree that looks a bit like a pappaya
Back in January I saw a little 2 inches shoot coming...
alexcortez
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™