Serviceberry Tree form

carmellia(z 4 Minn)September 18, 2008

Most people appear to grow serviceberry as a bush. I am considering getting one in tree form at a half-off autumn sale.

Does anyone know if birds are as accepting of the trees as they are of bushes? Also, if you have a service berry, what kinds of birds are attracted to it? Thank you for your help. Carmellia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chris52403

Carmellia:
I don't have any Serviceberries of my own, yet! But, my aunt has 2 of the tree form and she can't keep the berries on it for all of the birds! The birds come in flocks she said to devour the berries. I know she gets Robins, other than that, not sure what other kinds come to it. Goodluck.
I am looking at adding a couple Regents Serviceberries to my backyard, hoping the birds will come!

Chris52403

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 3:40PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I rarely get to see the berries on my service berry tree because the birds seem to strip them off as fast as they grow.

If you can actually get a few berries for yourself, they are edible for people too.

As for type of birds, in my yard its mainly goldfinches, house finches and cardinals. But I imagine any bird will eat them.

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 5:41PM
catherinet(5 IN)

I've had robins, catbirds and cedar waxwings eat the berries from my serviceberry trees.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 9:00PM
ohiogdnr(5b OH)

Gotta warn ya! The trees sucker like crazy!

We planted 3 of them 10 years ago. The suckers are coming up not just at the base, but up to 4' from the trees. We weed-whack them down but the little stubs are uncomfortable to walk on. I don't recommend planting them unless you have a good size yard with an area you are naturalizing. They go their own way!

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 7:18AM
pondwelr(z5 WI)

I have two bush forms and two tree forms, one a single stem and one a clump. Once the birds find this seasonal source of goodies, they will return every year. Primary feeders are robins and cedar waxwings, but other fruit lovers show up too, even squirrels.

Mine are 10 years old as of Aug.'08. None have ever suckered. This year I actually picked a single bowl of the luscious blue berries, which (ta-dah!) tastes like a blueberry, but jucier.

I recommend these for small lots and patio trees. This year the fall foliage was totally spectacular. This tree has it all. i.e. managable size, will grow in some shade, has the earliest white blossoms, luscious fruit and great fall color. All wildlife gardeners should have at least 3 of these.
Pondy

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 11:35AM
soycandle(IN 5)

Pondy, can you tell me what cultivars you have so that I can choose one that is tree form and doesn't sucker? Thanks!

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 4:23PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

The suckering is why many people grow them in shrub form.

I have a tree, planted it a few years ago and it hasn't suckered yet.

Bookmark   December 23, 2008 at 11:16AM
taragirl(z7 NC)

The "suckering" might also have something to do with how deep you plant the tree/shrub or it whether its root zone was damaged at some point.

I have 2 serviceberry shrubs and one that was grown in a lollipop tree form. The lollipop sent out so many suckers that I'm letting them take over and may eventually prune out the original "tree"!

Personally, I like the suckers. All the more branches to make berries! But here's a link to a site that tells you why they occur and how to remove them (if you wish):

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree suckers

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 7:50PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

The birds don't care if you get a tree form or a shrub form. They just love serviceberries. In my yard the birds start checking out the berries as soon as they show a flush of red. When my serviceberries were young and did not yet produce lots of fruit, it was years until they made enough that I would see purple ripe berries as those birds got them too quickly. Now they fruit so heavily that they are loaded with purple berries in the summer until the birds finially finish them all off. Best summer bird attractor there is.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
Good squirrel proof feeder..
Hello, I'm looking to replace a Yankee Flipper Squirrel...
shw104
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™