Just call me StainFinger

trudi_dJuly 29, 2009

My palms and fingers won't come clean. I've used soap, detergent, shampoo, even Ajax. Tomato stem stains have got to be some of the WORST to remove from your skin. I may have to go to the town pool--maybe a prolongued dip in their chlorinated water will help.

Sigh.

T

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigdaddyj(Zone7)

Hi trudi. Yeah, a pool or a dip in the ocean will help. My biggest problem is lily pollen.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 8:54AM
trudi_d

I thought of doing the ocean too--getting sandblasted in the surf is fun! Pollen can be annoying too ;-( I sympathize.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 9:12AM
star_stuff(Greensboro NC 7a)

A dip in the pool sounds like a good idea, and very refreshing with this awful heat! Maybe scrubbing with baking soda and/or lemon juice?

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 9:25AM
gardener1908

I am going to try soaking my hands/nails in a denture tablet. I heard that this is what the spas use for their hand treatment. Think about it, it bubbles and is meant to remove stain.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 9:31AM
catman529(6b)

I've always found it interesting how some people get bad stains from tomato stems, but I don't. I'm out there rubbing the stems, smelling their pungent aroma, etc. but I never get any stains. Maybe a little green that rinses away. Black walnuts make a nasty stain, but I've never had that trouble with tomatoes.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 9:45AM
gardener_sandy

My mom handled many tomatoes and plants all summer long in our large kitchen garden. She always had the most beautiful nails and hands. Her secret was chlorine bleach. She would mix up a batch in the kitchen sink and bleach all of our white socks and the kitchen dish rags and towels. Swishing them around in the bleach water kept her hands stain free. It also kept the sink stain and germ free. Just a thought.

Sandy

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 10:07AM
nabcity(3a)

Try some acid. Lemon juice or just squish up a tomato if you can stand to lose one.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 10:38AM
ditnc(7 NC)

Maybe a stretch, but someone gave me a tip on whitening up white material that had some yellowing - Efferdent. Sounds plausable to me, maybe could work for hand stains.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 11:00AM
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

My hands get most stained from sifting compost, or harvesting vermicompost. Easy Orange (automotive) hand cleaner does the trick for me. Trudi I wish I had your problem, my 15 plants just don't do any thing to my hands.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 12:14PM
wiringman(ZONE 4)

i guess i am one of the lucky one.

i prune my tomatoes i do not let any sucker i find grow. so my hands get soaked on tomato sap. i think that is where the term "GREEN THUMB" came from.

me and my scissors get under tap water and rub and the stuff comes off.

of course i am a man and clean hands to me might be different to a lady. (Grin)

WM

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 12:31PM
gobig_or_gohome_toms

Try 409 it works great for me the spray turns bright yellow right when it hits the tomaotoe stained hands and disolves it right off.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 12:34PM
austinnhanasmom(5 CO)

I am trellising the Florida Weave way this year and have experienced the same thing - green slimy goo that's hard to wash off. I have 60 plants so after tending about 30, my hands are gross.

I find, though, that each day when I'm a bit frustrated while hand washing, I'm thankful and overjoyed because SO many people in Denver metro lost their 2009 plants to hail. I would bet they would love to have our problem;)) Some of these poor gardeners replanted only to have the hail ruin the new plants too.

It seems that my phone MUST ring the instant my hands are all nasty and that's the most irritating.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
Has Anybody Grown This Tomato ?
I was in HD looking for Big Beef seeds. But they did...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Brown tomato leaves
What's wrong with the leaves on this tomato? Is it...
chrishashtags_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™