What causes Megablooms?

booberry85(5)July 19, 2008

I've been growing tomatoes for 7 or 8 years now. This is the first year that I've ever had megablooms. I know that they are several blooms fused together, but what causes it? Are there certain weather conditions or soil conditions that promote megablooms?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
technologygarden

I've seen this too, maybe global warming? LOL - seems that this year as well I have had many of them....question is....do they create Mega Tomatoes? Or should I just pick them off? I'm using aeroponics to grow my tomatoes this year, not soil.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 9:01AM
cyumickey(Sunset 18)

Is this a megabloom?

There is also this one, that looks different than above, but is still larger than the regular flowers

did anyone ever figure out why the occur?

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 5:26PM
reaverg(7b)

Still no reason I can find. Today I found a megabloom on my third variety, making it all three beefsteak varieties that have produced them at least once. I do find it odd that this is the first year you and I have seen these problems though.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 5:39PM
cyumickey(Sunset 18)

it's so weird I went to check my plants like I do every morning and saw these. I don't know if I'm just more conscious of them since they have been talked about so much lately, though. This plant is momotaro, and it hasn't been producing much. I think I only have 3 or 4 tomatoes on it right now. It flowers enough, I think, they just don't pollinate. Not sure if the megabloom will be pollinated or not...

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 5:55PM
tomahtohs

From what I've heard, Megablooms are mainly caused by genetics. Big tomato types are more likely to produce "Megablooms", or double, triple flowers etc. I've heard it can also be caused by overly wet weather conditions, but I'm not sure about that.

Since megablooms are usually two or three flowers fused together, they have to be pollinated two or three times as much to grow evenly. If they aren't pollinated well enough, they will be "Catfaced" and mutated looking. Sometimes the plant will just drop it of it's own accord, but if you don't want ugly or misshapen fruit, you could pick them off.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 7:36PM
spiced_ham(z5 OH)

I've seen flower deformation caused by environmental stress in other plants. Mainly cooler than usual environment during bud formation. Certain individual plants had a genetic predisposition to the deformities so each year it would be neat to see what happened. Plant age also had an effect, with younger, first bloom plants most likely to show deformities.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 10:46AM
terrybull

like this

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 12:43PM
cyumickey(Sunset 18)

the megabloom in the first pic I posted is growing! I think it will be a mutant. I also saw another mutant on my plant that must have been a megabloom, too. I'm pretty excited about this (not quite sure why, though). lol

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 12:12PM
reaverg(7b)

mine too mickey, but the first stigma wasn't pollinated so half of it is growing again. I say my plant has been so stingy (0) that I'll let it go.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 1:51PM
tomahtohs

I get excited about megablooms as well, Mickey. I just like to see how they turn out, as they look nothing like "Conventional" perfectly shaped tomatoes. They have more character.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 12:40AM
wvtomatoman(z6 WV)

I don't know for sure what causes fused blossoms. I always assumed it was a combination of genetics and weather.

Randy

p.s. I still call them fused blossoms not megablooms. I still call varieties heirlooms or open pollinated, not heritage.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 12:37PM
hobertgkeithbell_south_net

My tomatoes are about waist high, some small tomatoes and very few blooms. I think that there should be more blooms.I started with 10/10/10, should I have use something with less nitrogen? Thanks

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
Growing Tomatoes
I've heard that American like tomatoes so much. Tomatoes...
Alecia Bane
Solo Cups vs Ribbed Pots
Cost factor is in favor of the cups, especially if...
hoosier40 6a Southern IN
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
Critique Varieties please for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Tayse Rugs Rugs Impressions Blue 5 ft. 3
Home Depot
POLYWOOD Counter Side Table
Fifthroom.com
Palmera Green Outdoor Lumbar Pillow
Grandin Road
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Sonnet
Home Depot
Designers Fountain 97583 Amherst 3 Light Chandelier in Burnt Umber Finish Multic
$315.50 | Hayneedle
Charlie Dark Oak Shelving
Zuri Furniture
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™