Can anyone help me identify this weed please?

discoqueenSeptember 17, 2012

Hi there. i have just moved house. And in the garden of my new place I noticed this well established weed. It is about 12-15 feet tall. For one horrible moment I thought it was the dreaded Knotweed but it does not have the distinctive "zig-zag' leave formations and the leaves appear to be narrower. Plus there is no evidence of the white flowers Knotweed has.

Is it pokeweed? Where the plant is hanging over the neighbouring property I noticed a small bunch of black berries which I believe Pokeweeds have. But there was only this one small bunch on the plant. They had not appeared anywhere else.

Any advice on what it may be and how to get rid of it would be greatly appreciated. Annoyingly it is growing in a tiny gap between the fence and the garden wall so I fear the fence may have to be taken down to get to it's roots!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
discoqueen

Here's another photo of the same weed in case it is needed!

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 9:43AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Please post an image of the berries

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 7:48PM
discoqueen

HI there- thanks so much for your post.

I am afraid I do not have a good picture of the berries as I only had my camera phone on me. Plus the only bunch of them are way over on my neighbours side of their garden and I have no access. I am posting the only photo I have but I don't know if it will help!

I am in the UK by the way....in case that narrows down what it could be....

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 3:35AM
noinwi

I would post this question in the Name That Plant forum(it's a bit more active than this forum). There is also someone from the UK that posts there often that would be of help to you.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:23PM
discoqueen

Thank you! I will post on that forum as suggested. Many Thanks

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 5:20AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Discoqueen - it's an elder bush. Sambucus nigra - a very common self sowing native. You will need to cut it right down and then, if you can't dig out the roots, apply some sort of brush killer to the stumps.

Before anyone says, why destroy an edible, these things are native here and sprout all over the place. They are a bit too common and a bit too large to tolerate in our small gardens.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
ID weed, please
After living here 45 years, this plant (weed) began...
hottea
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™