Too late for cushaws?

queenb(z8b East TX)June 18, 2012

I'm wondering if it would be too late in the season to start a second crop of cushaw squash. My first set of vines are doing poorly for the most part, with only one vine producing a decent-sized fruit. The others are stunted and have stunted fruits, or none at all, and are no longer growing or flowering. (My butternuts are still going bananas!)

I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong for this batch and would like to try again. We have a fairly long growing season, so I was thinking it *might* be okay to try. Opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynthianovak

Go for it! My husband grw up with these monsters. If memory serves me, I've planted in late June early July and they were ready in the fall. I stopped growing them because their vines cause blisters on my arms.

To anyone who has never grown them, they grow vines that can be very long. The leaves look like giant lily pads and the squash can be 10 pounds or more.

BTw I have seeds from a more orange flesh squash that is shaped like a cushaw only more orange than just the green and white. I bought it in the fall to roast and freeze for him. Would you like the seeds? I'll mail them to you if you email me.

c

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:13AM
queenb(z8b East TX)

I was just looking at getting some seeds for the orange striped version. I'd love some!

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:34AM
queenb(z8b East TX)

Cynthia -- just wanted to let you know that the day after I got the seeds, I planted 8 in a mound way in the back so they'd get plenty of room to grow. I went out today, and I have 4 very healthy seedings! It took them awhile to come up, and the ants got a couple of the seeds. Go figure, they're coming up right in the middle of a heatwave, but they're semi-shaded, and they love this kind of weather. Thanks so much for sharing!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 5:11PM
cynthianovak

That is great news!
When we had them, they moved from part shade to sunlight. But they would produce in both. I gave gthem names: Bill and Hill...Hoss and Little Joe. ou get the idea. When they come up there are often more than one on the same vine and several vines going in different directions from one plant.

Stand back....here they come!
c

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Spring spots on Oleander Leaves
Hello Garden Forum.. I have an Oleander that has emerged...
rrtxgardener
Isn't milkweed a perennial?
I started several plants last summer from seed and...
random_harvest
Tree identification
Just bought a house in San antonio and have no idea...
Diana Ortega
Anyone Recognize This Cutie Beauty?
found it today, can't remember where it came from!
sylviatexas2
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
Sponsored Products
Way Basics Bookcases Oxford 9-Compartment Stackable Modular Bookcase and Eco
Home Depot
George Kovacs Convex 7" High Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Tray Storage Base
CliqStudios Cabinets
Lena Copper Window Box - 30"
Grandin Road
Yellow Ceramic Lantern
$21.99 | zulily