Milkweed Forum

wildflowerman_2000October 23, 2013

Wanted-Folks to join the new MILKWEED FORUM on Gardenweb! As of Oct.21 this new forum is up and running and we hope to have everything "Milkweed" in one location for everyone to easily reference. Please help spread the word.
Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Forum

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

This forum is up and running, so all are welcome to visit. I'm going to let this post drift down now.

Martha

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 9:17AM
wildflowerman_2000

Thanks so much Martha for the gentle reminder. I have been remiss since the MILKWEED FORUM got started with the help of several forum members. I had emergency back surgery in December and have spent most of this cold and miserable winter inside. I have conducted 3 milkweed seed cleaning workshops where we have cleaned in excess of 10,000 milkweed seed for distribution to local growers here in the Carolinas to help enhance gardens for the Monarchs and other species of butterflies. The volunteers were all members of our local chapter of the NC Native Plant Society and we spent 3 days engulfed in milkweed fluff- with the accompanying coughing and sneezing. It was still lots of fun for what we all feel is a much needed endeavor to help the butterflies. I'm attaching a photo from the workshop and also a cartoon from a few years ago that seems very appropriate for our group.
Happy Milkweed season- Mark

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 10:59AM
wildflowerman_2000

Now here is the cartoon mentioned in the previous message. I can't ever figure how to send two or more photos in the same message.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 11:01AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Mark,
What method did your group use to separate the seeds from the fluff? I cleaned more seed last fall than I care to remember, and got pretty good at keeping the fluff under control, as long as the pod wasn't completely split and spilling already. I contacted Monarch Watch to see if they had any mechanical method, but they find that hand separating is not much different as far as efficiency goes. Just curious how you managed it. I'm sure I'll be at it again before I know it.

Martha

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
shrews in my house
Hi everyone! I'm new to the gardenweb. I have a question...
NJdragonfly
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
Sponsored Products
Surya Forum FM-7108 Area Rug Multicolor - FM7108-1014
$63.00 | Hayneedle
Forum 9-Light Chandelier by Savoy House
$778.00 | Lumens
Savoy House Forum Transitional Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
Forum Medium Outdoor Wall Mount
$279.00 | Bellacor
Soft Harvester Double-Shell Hypo-Down Pillow
$129.99 | zulily