Purple berries mystery plant?

kitchendetective(8b)September 26, 2007

Can anyone identify this? Should I try to get rid of it? I found it on my property in Central Texas. It's a single plant that is about 5' high and 4' wide, roughly. The berries are pea size. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchendetective(8b)

Apparently, it's Callicarpa americana or Purple Beauty Berry. The weird thing is, the plant has been here for years, but I've never seen these berries before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beauty Berry

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 9:12PM
sylviatexas1

Love that beautyberry!

If you have just way too much of it, take some to your area's next plant swap (check out the Texas Forum), or post it on craigslist or freecycle.

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 3:38PM
blackkats4

I live in the Piney Woods of East Texas. This plant is prolific in the 10 acres of woods I have. You can not readely kill it as even if you cut it down at the dirt level it will be back up in no time. It has a sweet smell (when cut or crushed) to it that is quite plesent. But will grow with absoulty no effort or care of anyone but God.

Any one want any I would be more than glad to send you some. :) To us in this area it is more of a weed and pest than anything. But you know a weed is just a plant growing in the wrong place. :)

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 11:12AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There are people that spend a lot of money to get a Callicarpa. Like any plant that produces a fruit, which is nothing more than a means of spreading seed around, this can be a bit invasive, given all the right conditions. If this is happy where you are, and you are happy with it let it grow.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
The battle against Bermuda
Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences...
jon2412
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™