Maintain Empty Lot with weeds????

chueh(7B)September 23, 2012

Neither my husband nor I were even considering the problem of maintaining an empty lot. We thought that we bought the land, and that's all.

It turned out we had to spend hundreds of dollars to have someone who had bushhawk with the mowing equipment to mow the land. Because the land was clear from woods by the builder, and the previous owner mowed it but did not put sod, weeds and trees have grown.

How can we maintain it without having many weeds grow or at least just preventing the hardwood bush weeds or trees from growing??? I am thinking of spread pre-mergent at early October, yet I am not sure how effective for maintaining the empty land.

Please advise. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Pre Emergent controls should be applied about 6 weeks prior to the target "weeds" germinating. Which "weeds" then would be germinating in Georgia in November and December?
Mowing would probably be the most economical menas of maintenance.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 7:22AM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Nature abhors bare ground. You can continue to brush hog it, you can spray with herbicide a couple times a year or apply a longer lasting one to keep the weeds down and have an unending battle, or get it planted to grass to keep the other weeds choked out, you could fence and graze it to let the livestock keep everything down.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 1:29AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

What was your goal regarding this empty lot?

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 7:15AM
mistascott(7A VA)

I would just mow it every 30 days or so during the growing season until you are ready to do something with it. Stuff is going to grow, but mowing should keep trees, etc. from getting established.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
The battle against Bermuda
Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences...
jon2412
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™