Do squirrels make a rapid clacking sound?

catherinet(5 IN)October 4, 2011

I'm hearing a sound in the woods. I'm also hearing the usual ticked-off squirrel sounds. But it is a rapid clacking sound. Sort of similar to a Kingfisher's sound, but deeper.

It is near a creek, so I guess it could be a kingfisher, but the sound comes from the same area all the time. Could it be just another gray squirrel sound? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

Yes, they do!

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 10:11PM
lovefornature(5B IL)

Those are the sounds of squirrels. I have tons of them since my neighbors have a walnut tree.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 2:25PM
paulsiu(5a)

Yes they do. My mon once fed a squirrel once (I told her it's a bad idea). It started clicking at me when I was sitting on the porch (no doubt looking a handout).

Paul

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 4:12PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks everyone,
But I found out something very interesting......it was crows! I saw a couple flying over the field and this clacking sound was moving with them. Then I saw a show on Crows recently on PBS and they showed them making the sound.
I had no idea! I guess they make this sound when they're talking to family, as opposed to the caw...caw...sound they make to a larger group.
Another interesting thing I learned on this PBS show was that when there is a crow's death, the group gathers on a tree near where it died and sit there quietly for awhile. (like they're having a funeral). Then they fly off quietly.
Ain't nature grand?!

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Baby Mallards
I am in desperate need of some help. We just hatched...
michelewelker
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
30+ turkey vultures!
Hi all, I was driving home from picking my kids up...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™