What type of weed is this?

ponchobotSeptember 25, 2013

Hi, my lawn started showing this weed, which seems to propagate pretty easily. It is easy to pull by hand, but it seems to spread faster than the speed of pulling out :-( Any help trying to identify and perhaps control would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Looks like Sheep Sorrel (Rumex acetosella)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheep Sorrel

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:19PM
ponchobot

Yes indeed, that is the one! Thank you! Any experience controlling it? All the information I'm seeing online seems to indicate it is rather difficult and that I should not attempt to pull it by hand, which is what I've been doing until now :-(

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:27PM
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

It has a very fine runner root that is hard to remove intact without breaking it....but you can get rid of it by pulling it up everytime you see it.....eventually you will starve the root by getting rid of the top....also ...never let it go to seed....you can spray it with a herbicide if you want to resort to chemicals.....

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 1:12AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Sheep Sorrel has a root system that won't quit. The newest roots are thin and break easily while older ones can be pencil lead thick and pretty tough. Even the smallest bit of root can grow and produce more plants but constant removal of each and every plant and all of the roots you can will aid in keeping this under control.
Spraying with plant poisons may kill off the top growth but will not do much about the roots, so one would need to spray every week to keep these plants under control and that can get to be very expensive. I have found that removing the roots, carefully, keeps new plants under control for months.

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 7:30AM
ponchobot

Thank you for all the great advice! I read in a couple of places that Sheep Sorrel might also be an indication of high soil acidity, and perhaps applying lime, after a proper PH measurement, plus proper feeding, might help improve the soil in favor of grass and against Sheep Sorrel. Any thoughts about this?

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
What kind of weed am I?
This has completely taken over our verge in Salt Lake...
zhoen
Lesser Celandine - Edible?
Has anyone tried eating Lesser Celandine? What does...
zone5shade
Neglected Yard
I moved into a house last winter and the yard seems...
reemlarki
Help identifying weed - Austin Tx(Multiple pictures)
Hello, I'm attempting to identify this weed that grows...
paulburk426
Sponsored Products
Womb Chair, Boucle Classic Fabric, Chrome Frame
Design Within Reach
Besa Lighting | Kristall 8 One Light Pendant
$220.50 | YLighting
RION Furniture - Oxford 1 Drawer Side Table in Weathered - GTAB247WEA
Great Furniture Deal
Justice Design Group POR-8703 - Aero 3 Light Bath Bar - Cone Shade - Dark Bronze
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Edge Bath Bar by Philips Forecast Lighting
$238.00 | Lumens
Eye for Design Pillow Cover in Orange
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™