Am I a weed?

handyman67September 20, 2010

This lil guy showed up in the garden last year and despite not knowing what it was, I liked the blooms and let it do its' thing. Though the pic doesnt show it all that well, the blooms do have a very faint hint of yellow to them.

It seemed to do quite well with morning sun and then the rest of the day in full shade, and as you can tell it has a somewhat rambling growth habit, but isnt really aggressive.

This year it popped up elsewhere in a spot that gets full sun all day, is doing well, and theres evidence of substantial bloom, but the blooms dont seem to like full sun or the heat.

I've collected seed this year, so hopefully I'll be able to get a few of them to sprout for next year.

I think in a mass planting, it could look quite nice..

despite the old saw... "a weed is anything you dont want in your garden"... I'm quite curious as to what this lil guy is..

Does anyone have any idea what this is ?

*referring the plant in the center of the pic, not the sedum thats off to the left :o)

~Donald~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
handyman67

Oops, found the Name That Plant forum 10 seconds after this posted..

Sorry..

~D~

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 7:17PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

It kind of looks like it might be a Portulca, Moss Rose.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 7:42AM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Just for clarification, the plant looks like Hibiscus trionum, "flower of an hour".
hortster

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 1:39PM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Don't worry about planting some seed next year--whatever fell on the ground will come up in spades. Flower of an Hour, also called Venice Mallow, is a prolific seeder and can be quite a weed where unwanted. Still, it does have an attractive flower. It usually doesn't start to grow until mid summer when the weather is warm. For me, that is just after the last cultivation.

So, if you do seed it, don't feel like it failed if it doesn't come up in the spring--wait until August before declaring failure.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 1:55AM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

One additon to beeone's comment - this species tends to multiply on BARE SOIL and will not occur in turf or tries very seldom where mulched beds occur. If the mulch is too thin, perhaps it might poke its head through, but tends to be a pioneer type plant, happy where none others yet exist. Gotta admit, a nice looking weed. And a hibiscus, yet!
hortster

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
Neglected Yard
I moved into a house last winter and the yard seems...
reemlarki
thistle help
For the last few years i have been battling thistles...
violet14
Best organic solutions
Hello, Any advice on the best things to buy to address...
tigger033
Please help identify these vines
These are young examples of these vines that can grow...
jmccown0999
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Lester Granite Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
WAC Bronze Xenon 12" Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
Renaissance New Heirloom Gold Two-Light Amethyst Heritage Handcut Crystal Wall S
$922.00 | Bellacor
Drive Thru Art Print
$18.99 | Dot & Bo
LBL Lighting | Nikko Visa Outdoor Light
$232.00 | YLighting
Isoline Travel Blanket in Navy - Tabula Rasa
$255.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™