2011 Winners and not...

woodcutter2008July 29, 2011

Momotoro is a winner for me this year. My only complaint is the lack of "tang" to go with the sweetness. I still find Golden Girl and a few other old-timers slightly better in flavor.

My experience with "Smarty F1" is not so great. Reminds me a lot of a smaller Juliet. Yields like crazy, but the flavor is (to me) quite weak. Still, if I had these in January for salads, I'd be a very happy camper. I hope that Mountain Magic will be better.

Sun Sugar -- catalogs mention thin skin that is not prone to crack as does Sun Gold, but they don't mention that the skins are thin but tough. Not a winner for me.

Bonnie Select? -- this was labeled as a Bonnie Original (indeterminate), but the plant is about 2-1/2' tall, and it is sure appears to be determinate, so I think it was mislabeled when I purchased it. Still, a good tomato with good yield and good overall flavor. I think this variety would do fine in an EarthBox (the real deal).

-WC2K8

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigpinks

my most pleasant surprise this yr has been a Burpee that I raised from seed called Sunny Boy. Big producer of banana colored fruit mostly round and many are softball sized. Several have weighed a pound or more. I will grow it again next yr.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 12:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mewhee

Woodcutter said: "Momotoro is a winner for me this year. My only complaint is the lack of "tang" to go with the sweetness."

We've been growing Momotaro for about 5 years now and it runs spotty from very good to fairly bland (last year)tastewise. It's very popular here in Orange County and of course, Japan where it originated.

My surprise this year is Kentucky Beefsteak - good producer and tastes great.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Best short season tomato varieties?
I would like to make sure I am harvesting ripe tomatoes...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
Color of Tomato Plants
As anyone that follows my posts knows, I am growing...
garf_gw
Show Your Seedlings -2015
Lets share some pictures of our seedlings. Here is...
seysonn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™