2011 Winners and not...

woodcutter2008July 29, 2011

Momotoro is a winner for me this year. My only complaint is the lack of "tang" to go with the sweetness. I still find Golden Girl and a few other old-timers slightly better in flavor.

My experience with "Smarty F1" is not so great. Reminds me a lot of a smaller Juliet. Yields like crazy, but the flavor is (to me) quite weak. Still, if I had these in January for salads, I'd be a very happy camper. I hope that Mountain Magic will be better.

Sun Sugar -- catalogs mention thin skin that is not prone to crack as does Sun Gold, but they don't mention that the skins are thin but tough. Not a winner for me.

Bonnie Select? -- this was labeled as a Bonnie Original (indeterminate), but the plant is about 2-1/2' tall, and it is sure appears to be determinate, so I think it was mislabeled when I purchased it. Still, a good tomato with good yield and good overall flavor. I think this variety would do fine in an EarthBox (the real deal).

-WC2K8

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigpinks

my most pleasant surprise this yr has been a Burpee that I raised from seed called Sunny Boy. Big producer of banana colored fruit mostly round and many are softball sized. Several have weighed a pound or more. I will grow it again next yr.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 12:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mewhee

Woodcutter said: "Momotoro is a winner for me this year. My only complaint is the lack of "tang" to go with the sweetness."

We've been growing Momotaro for about 5 years now and it runs spotty from very good to fairly bland (last year)tastewise. It's very popular here in Orange County and of course, Japan where it originated.

My surprise this year is Kentucky Beefsteak - good producer and tastes great.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Love San Marzano Redorta
There have been a lot of questions about what is the...
ikea_gw
Jersey Boy - 2015
I volunteered to post a review for "Jersey Boy"...
hudson___wy
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
My Druzba
must think it's halloween as it's short,stocky and...
jwr6404
Hardening Off As A Prelude To Plant Out
Sooner or later (sooner is better :-)) , time will...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Sponsored Products
Kartell | Comback Chair, Wood Legs - Quick Ship
YLiving.com
The Young Scientist Club Set 4 Bacteria and Fungi/ Weight and Volume/ Acids and
$31.99 | Hayneedle
Winners Only Topaz 55 in. Corner Media Base - Cinnamon - TT155WB
$844.00 | Hayneedle
Custom Roll-Back Bar Stool
Home Decorators Collection
DrinkBetter Pet Water Bowl
$25.50 | FRONTGATE