nutgrass

patty_cakesSeptember 11, 2013

I believe that's what I have shooting up all over my landscape fabric, mulched, back yard. I have been going out anywhere from 2-3 times a week pulling up the little %�*^!! Today was the day I decided to take measures into my own hands and give it the old college try to a couple of unorthodox methods I read right here on this very forum. Roundup as well as other toxic weed killers don't exist in my book.

What I tried today was boiling water on one spot and sugar on another!! You read right!!! Go ahead and laugh, but anything is worth a shot a this point. After a couple of days I could have an answer and you'll hear it here first.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Well....unless you can kill the tuber (nut) down deep in the soil.....you will never get rid of it.....
Not laughing.....just speaking the truth.....

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 11:04PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Repeated removal of the top growth before the plant develops 4 to 6 leaves will help starve the nutlets.

Depending upon how much you have, hand removal is much more economical than boiling water or sugar.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 different nutsedges

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 1:29AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Sugar is pure power, that's just gonna fertilize 'em. If boiling water can kill pokeweed roots, I'm sure it will do fine on the sedge. Just depends on your patience level and gracefulness for not burning yourself. A tea kettle is a good idea.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 5:44PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The most common "nutgrass", nutsedge growing in lawns is Yellow Nutsedge and along with Purple Nutsedge creates major problems for many lawn caretakers and gardeners. Understanding something about sedges can be of some help in devising a control program and the link jean supplied is a very good one.
Sedges evolved in swamps, bogs, wetlands, and do best where those conditions exist. What I have seen is that where landscape fabric is used Yellow Nutsedge is quite prolific and the stalks grow right through the fabric. Once established these have adapted very well to growing in about any environment.
Any product that will kill these sedges will also kill of any desirable plant that product, including boiling water, touches.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 8:01AM
patty_cakes

Went out yesterday to check out my experiment and seems the sugar killed the weeds, and the boiling water did nothing but give the weeds more moisture, hence, more growth. Now, do I 'sweeten' up the whole backyard, or lay cardboard/newspapers down to stop the weeds all together....hmmmmmm. Think I'll start collecting more newspapers/cardboard!

Thanks for all your input everyone!

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 1:27PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

How much sugar are you talking about? How much boiling water? There's nothing I've ever poured boiling water on that didn't die.

For your sanity later, please remove the landscape fabric before smothering with cardboard/newspaper. Sorry this happened! So many stories like this about landscape fabric, and I've seen it many times in person also.

There are recent discussions about smothering here, here.

Adding a picture of the area in question might help you get more specific suggestions.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™