Need ID of Weed whose Flower looks like Ear of Corn

suel41452October 11, 2006

My husband loves this weed. It grows very tall and its flower is very large, yellow, and resembles an ear of corn. Sometimes the flower heads look like a saguaro (sp?)cactus from a distance. Anyone know what this is?? Thanx!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

Sounds a bit like common mullein, Verbascum thapsus.

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 11:57PM
suel41452

Bingo! Saw a photo online - that's exactly it! Thank you so much for the info - I would never have found it on my own.
Now if I can just get my husband to stop planting it in our yard. He transplanted 2 of them from pastureland behind our house.
I have been busy this past year planting flowering cherries, japanese maples, hosta, butterfly bushes, peonies, azaleas, daylilies, daffodils, asters, mums, canna, nandina, iris to have a lovely yard and he plants this weed? ARRGH. Guess I'll have to learn to love it!!

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 1:47PM
maifleur01

Once you see the butterflys and small birds it attracts you will want more. I tried for years to transplant them. I even went to one of my favorite nurseries for starts but no luck until last year when one finally took. Just be aware that they bloom on second year plants. I have found two seedlings and am hopeing for more. There is a very small wren that loves to eat the flowers and later the seeds that I have not found in any book. It appears no more than two-three inches long from head to tail. With that cocky tail it is so cute as it goes up and down the stem chasing off the nuthatch.

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 8:43PM
suel41452

Well, glad to hear someone else loves them! But I have to confess it will have to be an acquired taste for me. I'll try to think of it as an exotic sunflower!!! But since my husband never takes care of any of his plants, I doubt I'll see it next spring.

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 10:09AM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Mullien is a great plant for birds. ONce you get it established, it doesn't need much care. Its a perfect plant for your hubby to grow. And I would bet that you will see it next year. (I know that isn't what you wanted to hear though - sorry for the bad news.)

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 10:28AM
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

Be aware that it is listed as a noxious weed in Colorado and South Dakota. I have to admit, I have never understood the attraction that some people have for this plant. I yank it out wherever I find it.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
The battle against Bermuda
Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences...
jon2412
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™