What have you turned over to the wildlife?

squirrel_girlOctober 21, 2007

This is my first year growing tomatoes. Dozens of cherry toms. are hanging from the vine, green as can be. I was beginning to think I was a dud of a tomato grower and then...

Two turned orange. A few more days to wait. Then, plucked by a cheeky little chipmunk. Cute little buggers left 1/2 for me to find on their favorite log.

I've left the next orange ones for them to enjoy. What have you "turned over" to the wildlife?

Squirrel Girl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zebz(7-8)

Pretty much everything in my yard is fair game for anything that wants it.

We only harvested one tomato this year. The rest are being eaten by something. Something also likes the habanero peppers, which is okay with me because we don't eat them. I grow them because their orange color is so pretty.

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 8:30AM
loomis(Z6a Western MA)

I watched in amazement as my parsley plant was slowly sucked into the ground by a chipmunk, I presume.

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 1:06AM
bonnieblueyes

I watched as my dill plants were eaten down to just nubs by cute little green and yellow caterpillars. Then i watch as my mom and pop bluebird ate the caterpillars. Flew right onto my patio and nabbed them and then beat them on the patio and swallowed them down. I beleive they were black swallowtail cats. I had been watching them grow. The bluebirds had a nest of babies in my yard at the time so i know they ate well. They had probably been watching them grow too! LOL...
Bonnie

Bookmark   October 29, 2007 at 3:58PM
marilyn_c(z9 Tex.coast)

Fifty acres on the bayou, about 3/4 wooded, three ponds, and the rest meadow...wildlife is welcome to it all. I bought it just for them. I do live on it, but I take up very little space.

Bookmark   November 24, 2007 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Good squirrel proof feeder..
Hello, I'm looking to replace a Yankee Flipper Squirrel...
shw104
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
A very strange plant
The plant you're looking at is a Catawhatisthis, very...
plantnut65
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™