Arizona ash seedlings

Andi3October 19, 2012

How can we get rid of Arizona Ash tree seedlings short of digging then up? I have thousands upon thousands coming up in my garden this year. We have tried Round Up and they are just laughing at us. I know we should have never planted an Arizona ash in the first place but we were young, dumb and needed quick shade. Live and learn.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If you keep the leaves cut off so the seedlings cannot utilize sunlight to manufacture the nutrients necessary to promote growth they will, eventually, die. I find that works quite well with Maple, Oak, Pine, Black Walnut, and even Tree of Heaven, as well as other unwanted plants including Pokeweed.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 7:27AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

No matter what kind of trees you have, you'll likely have tree sprouts when gardening anywhere near trees. In this yard, it's oak and pecan, some crape myrtle. I spend a few minutes a few times per week pulling them out while they are small and easy to pull. As we speak, it's raining acorns. It's much easier to keep control of these things consistently throughout the year than to let them develop to where you feel you want to use chemicals.

Are you saying your sprouts are in a bed or in the lawn?

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 11:04AM
Andi3

They are mostly in one of my raised vegetable gardens. I'm not talking about a few here and there, there are hundreds if not thousands. As time allows I do pull and dig them up but more keep popping up every day. I guess I was just looking for an easy fix. Would corn gluten work if i time right?. I mostly plant transplants so using it wouldn't be a problem as far as that goes.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
Weed Identification (Florida)
Good afternoon, I have a problem with a weed (type...
BoogieMan2718
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
ID weed, please
After living here 45 years, this plant (weed) began...
hottea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™