Tomatoes in Michigan (Not so good)

g-mannJuly 25, 2012

So far this year, my tomatoes look rather unhealthy compared to other years. Below are pictures taken this morning. I have been watering every other day or so depending on the heat. We have had 3 days of triple digit temps! I fertilize the area with 12-12-12 fertilizer once a year, about a week before planting. Other than that, just water when dry.

The brand I plant are: Parks Whopper (Improved) and Sweet 100 grape sized. The Parks whopper, I have read are more likely to get BER than others.

The only thing I can think of, is that the hot dry weather may have took it's toll on the plants. Almost no rain what so ever. The only other thing that does not make an "ideal growing spot" is that they get sun only about 6hrs a day. However, other years were good except that I got tomatoes later in the year, I feel because of a limited amount of sun.

Anyone else have similar results as me? Comments on what could be wrong would be helpful. Maybe a different variety next year?

Sweet 100s

Sweet 100s

Sweet 100's

Parks Whopper

Parks Whopper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robeb_gw

I'd get some mulch around those plants, lots of mulch. That would help to retain moisture, etc.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 11:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree. Those plants are in dire need of a thick layer or straw or hay or compost mulch. Even shredded leaves, grass clippings, or multiple layers of newspapers would make a world of difference.

Dave

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™