How to keep mice out of deck boxes?

catherinet(5 IN)October 18, 2009

We don't have a garage or much of a basement. But we have about 4 deck boxes for storage. And all of them get mice in them. :(

Even if there's nothing for them to make a nest out of, they will import stuff. There's really no good way to seal these deck boxes. I read that dryer sheets repel them, so I got some of those. I find that smell sort of sickening too! ......but in a different way than mouse pee.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

P.S. I don't want to kill them.....just convince them to live elsewhere.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

What are they made out of? I use metal cans to store my bird seed and dog food. The mice can't/don't get in those. If they are wood, could you put a metal edge around the bottom and a little way up the sides? I'm thinking maybe even aluminum foil might confound them. I know they won't chew through steel wool b/c I stopped a hole with that once and ended the problem of them getting into the house. Seems aluminum would prevent them from chewing their way into your boxes. Just a thought.

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 1:48PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Hi cyn,
All the deck boxes are made out of plastic of some type (Rubbermaid). They are made in sections, so the mice are getting in through those little openings. Also, the lids get a bit warped over the years and there are spaces. They're pretty hard to outsmart.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 8:32PM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

I think you could try stuffing steel wool in the openings. I know the mice won't chew through that. Metal seems to be the only thing that keeps those little pests out! Good luck.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
30+ turkey vultures!
Hi all, I was driving home from picking my kids up...
catherinet
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™