Weed/Vine ID please! Vine with set of 5 serrated leaves

srigov(7)October 21, 2008

Hi All

I have a vine that is in my plant bed. I have posted pics to help id. I think its bindweed but the pictures do not match. The vine puts out several shoots and grows from a tuber/rhizome. I have dug down and removed fairly big chunks of the root but it seems to grow back again. For now, I'm cutting out the vine as close to the ground as possible. The worst thing is that its growing within my dwarf holly and I cannot dig it out without digging out the holly as well. The thorns are painful if you accidentally brush against it.

Any ideas on what this is and how to get rid of it?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Looks a lot like a vine called Virginia Creeper, used in landscapes. Makes a very nice vine on walls or trellises. The leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall, then goes dormant for the winter. It grows an extensive root system and is very difficult to get rid of once well established. However, if you use some full strength glyphosate, not the ready-to-use mix but the stuff that is 40% or more active ingredient, you can use a cotton glove or paintbrush or sponge and coat new sprouts when they come out of the ground. This allows you to miss getting your holly by accident, and it will take the vine out but may need a couple applications as regrowth appears. The Roundup won't hurt the holly as long as you don't get any on the holly leaves even though their roots are close together.

Your other alternative is to continue doing what you are doing now--keep cutting it off everytime some growth appears out of the ground to prevent any photosynthesis and gradually starve the roots out.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 1:28AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's not Virginia Creeper, which does not have those nasty thorns. Looks like a bramble, to me.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 11:49AM
jonijumpup(z5, GR MI)

I am trying to ID a vine that looks just like the leaves shown here, but my vine has no thorns. grows over fences, along the ground, up trees.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
When to Apply Corn Gluten Meal (Preemergent) Georgia
Hello, Is it too late to apply CGM in Atlanta, GA (March...
tigger033
How much vinegar per dandelion?
About how many mL of vinegar would you apply per dandelion...
tigger033
Can anyone tell me if this is a weed or flower and type
Can anyone tell me if this is a weed or flower and...
jayp1980
Please help identify these vines
These are young examples of these vines that can grow...
jmccown0999
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
Sponsored Products
Gainsborough Collection IV Wall Art
$389.00 | FRONTGATE
Couristan Jangali Braganza Cocoa Oriental Rug - 0477/0106-3.9X5.9
$679.00 | Hayneedle
Weston Wallchiere
$171.00 | Bellacor
Brown Belmont Comforter Set
$89.99 | zulily
Kenroy Home 53" High Flower and Vine Wallchiere Light
Lamps Plus