Disposal of dug nutsedge

northerngirl_mi(Z5 MI)October 15, 2013

I have yellow nutsedge scattered here and there in flower beds. (Not a lot...but what a pain in the butt to eliminate)....I dig it out when I get around to it, and try to take generous amount of soil with it so I get some of the nutlets...
I cold compost, so don't want to put in compost pile... How do others dispose of what you dig? That soil gets pretty heavy and bulky to just add to the trash...
Beth z5 MI

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimpa(z6b PA)

Since nutsedge tends to like it moist and sunny, you could exchange the soil from somewhere dry and shady. Maybe the back of the border or under the eaves.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 7:13AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

I would not compost the "nuts" or any of the green growth that has seeds even in a hot pile, but in Michigan our options are kind of limited since it is illegal to dispose of year waste in a sanitary landfill, where your regular household trash goes. If you have yard waste pick up double wrap them and put them put for that.
Possibly putting them out, double wrapped in clear plastic baggies, in the sun to be solarized might render the stuff ungrowable.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 11:53AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Kimpa, nutsedge is MUCH more adaptable than you think.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 9:37PM
kimpa(z6b PA)

I have it in the lawn and in the beds but I have never seen it in woods behind my house or in my shady beds adjacent to the woods. I just don't throw away soil. How about putting soil with nutlets somewhere and then covering it with cardboard and mulch. Yeah that's what I would do...Or dig a deep hole half way to China and bury it all. But I just couldn't throw away my soil!

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 9:51PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

I put that kind of unwanted garden waste deep in the woods where it doesn't grow. If it's diseased, it goes in the trash can.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 7:50PM
northerngirl_mi(Z5 MI)

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll need to give this some thought...just scared to put this somewhere else in the ground.... Have an area with very poor, dry, but sunny soil... Maybe a deep hole there...
Beth

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™