Using Borax To Kill Creeping Charlie

mikepaNovember 8, 2013

I have about an acre of yard and see homemade recipes for borax and water to use in a garden tank sprayer to kill Creeping Charlie. I was hoping to use a similar recipe in an Ortho hose-end sprayer to spray the borax solution in a more efficient way, as it seems like it has killed some of the weed.

I used the garden tank sprayer and it took about two days to apply to my yard. I need to find a more efficient method. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Extension.umn.edu -

Wrong time of year, and multiple applications aren't recommended.

"Apply borax when creeping charlie is actively growing in the spring, when no rain is expected for 48 hours"

"boron remains immobile in the soil and can accumulate to form a "hot spot" in the lawn. Boron toxicity results in yellow and brown spots around edges of leaves. Stems wilt and eventually the weed dies. Established grass appears to withstand the minute excess of boron needed to kill creeping charlie, though it may show brown discoloration temporarily. If the borax solution is applied in too high a concentration, or repeatedly, it will then be toxic to grass and many other plants.

This treatment can be applied only once each year for two years. If you still have creeping charlie problems, then switch to a standard herbicide"

I see 'recipes' for tank type sprayers only, and hose end sprayers give such little control - I don't think I'd try to adapt the application to hose end.

Dissolve 10 oz. Twenty Mule Team Borax in 4 oz. (ý cup) warm water. Dilute in 2.5 gallons of water to cover 1000 sq feet..

Here is a link that might be useful: Borax for creeping charlie

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 12:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Using Borax to control "Creeping Charlie" has been touted for many years, however, even though Boron is an essential micro nutrient just a bit too much is deadly to plants and spraying Borax can kill off your turf grass as well. Studies have had very inconsistent results, some indicating that "Creeping Charlie" was controlled while others indicated no control. All of the studies I have seen do mention other undesirable plant damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Borax to kill Creeping Charlie

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
The battle against Bermuda
Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences...
jon2412
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™