Clearing ivy naturally

gypsy_love(6)November 6, 2012

I have a large space that I plan to put a garden in this spring. Currently it is completely covered in various breeds of ivy (including poison ivy). I would love some suggestions for effectively removing it all without using any herbicides that could potentially harm my future garden.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Dig, then repeat until done.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 1:24PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

gypsy_love - I think it would be sensible to start by identifying what you have there. You refer to various 'breeds' of ivy, but most plants commonly called 'ivy' are not true ivy, ie Hedera species, at all. Poison Ivy is not related at all to, for example, English Ivy. Once you know what plants you are dealing with it is easier to decide how to tackle them. The Name That Plant Forum is your friend.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 12:16PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I too agree that it would be best to identify what it is that you are trying to eradicate. See link below to Name That Plant Forum.

Whatever it is, I'd cut and pull as much as possible, and then if possible till the soil really well. Next spring, repeat the pulling process and tilling.

Where are you located? See the Member Pages link at the bottom of any page to update your profile info so it will include your zone and location (see I am 5/6 S INdiana) so that it will automatically be shown whenever you post.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant!

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 5:50AM
More Discussions
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™