What is this weed

aufinNovember 9, 2006

Seems to be a cool weather weed. Has small hitchhikers that my dogs are constantly bringing into the house. Anybody know how to get rid of it - for good?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momamamo

It looks like miner's lettuce, one of the claytonias. If I'm correct, you can get rid of it by eating it. It's a lettuce substitute and is considered a delicacy.

It self-sows pretty happily, so don't let it go to seed, or try to smother it somehow. Maureen

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 7:41AM
aufin

Nope, not miner's lettuce. Googled it. Looks similar, but plant I have grows much different. More viney with double leaves at junctions. Plus miner's lettuce is in cool areas of the west. I'm in central Fla.

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 9:43AM
maifleur01

I have my doubts if this is what your dogs are bringing in. It lacks the fuzz on the stems to tangle in coat nor are the seeds large enough to attach to coat.

It is a weed but a very pretty weed. Has bright blue flowers in early spring. From a distance looks like someone has wiped their brush on the ground.

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 11:49PM
sportscaper

I am also in central Florida and I'm pretty sure that this is Heartleaf Drymary also known as West Indian Chickweed.

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™