Problem with sticker bushes (briars)

digginforu2(7)December 20, 2008

I hope I'm in the right category for this posting.

A few years ago we had a timber company come in and cut down several acres of pines that we replanted.

Now that the new trees are growing in, all along the outer edges of the areas cut down, we have a major problem with nasty sticker bushes or briars. I believe they may be some type of wild black berry(?) There is so much of it that we can't walk along the trails we made from the fire lines put in by the timber companies.

Anyone know of a non-toxic, organic spray we can use to kill these, if there is such a thing? Any other method to control this stuff?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There are several "sticker" bushes that these could be, wild blackberry (or a cousin), one of the barberries, and others. The bramble fruiting types spread from an extensive root system that needs to be dug out, there simply is no spray that will kill them, no matter what those that like to spray will tell you. The barberries grow from a seed, usually planted by a bird, and while really pricky they can be yanked out and do not have a very extensive root system.
By the way, any spray, dust, or whatever, that kills someting is toxic.

Bookmark   December 20, 2008 at 7:43AM
More Discussions
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™