The best way to kill English Ivy

har0ld(z6 WV)December 28, 2005

I have been trying to kill this pest for the past 2 years, but so far I have been unsuccessful. I've already tried these methods: Pulling, spraying leaves with Roundup and Brush-B-Gone, cutting the leaves and then spraying them, cutting stems and spraying, and I've even tried raking up the grass clippings after I mow my lawn and piling them on top of the ivy. All of these methods have either proved ineffective, or too time-consuming for me. My question is, is there any other effective ways of killing this stuff, or should I just give up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JAYK(8b)

There are ways to successfully control this plant. The subject has been discussed numerous times on Gardenweb over the past few years. The link below is a decent summary of many methods compiled by the Nature Conservancy. As for herbicide use for this, it is important that certain things are done for this to work well. For example, it usually takes the addition of a surfactant to the mix, and the use of herbicide label rates that are higher than would be used for easier to control weeds. You can get very good control though.

Here is a link that might be useful: TNC link

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 3:56PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Don't give up, there is no plant/weed tougher than a determined gardener :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything you'd want to know about ivy removal

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 5:29PM
chateauclubcrest

PERSISTENCE.

Trimming it back, spraying extra-strong weed killer with a dash of dishwashing soap on the new growth, and repeating this process frequently helped me get some out of control ivy to a manageable level. I hated using that much chemical, but the previous owner would've let it take over the house she hadn't sold it to me first!

Good luck.

Bookmark   January 4, 2006 at 6:15PM
chessjurist_mail_com

Apply Roundup (with a dash of dish soap) once a week for 3 or 4 weeks. Then pull the plants from the roots.

Some of the plants will re-emerge. Repeat the process on the ones that do.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™